Made a little Memorial Day (weekend) smoke…

utvolsfan77

What did you buy? Was it an old original or of modern manufacture...any choke? If it's old verify the gauge as you may think it's a 12 but it's really a 13. Below are some links that might be of interest to you.

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it!

utvolsfan77

@Wobblyshot1 and @Smo, I picked up a percussion cap 16-gauge side-by-side earlier this year at an
01.jpg
02.jpg
10.jpg
06.jpg
13.jpg
auction in Knoxville. My guess is that it is original rather than a modern reproduction. I haven't measured the muzzles with a caliper or micrometer yet, so I have no idea as to the degree of choke it has, if any at all. This shotgun appears to have been made in London from a stamping on the barrel rib. I just don't know if that is London, England or London, Kentucky.

First thing I have to do is clean it up a bit, then determine if it will be safe to shoot. Will definitely be leaning toward lighter loads for a while.

Would definitely welcome any advice from you two, or from others on this thread or forum.

Last edited:

Smo

Good looking gun, and it appears too be a original.
I had a Gentleman ( gunsmith ) in Howenwald look at my 10 gauge.. and his advice was too shoot lighter loads in it…
As in, less lead, lighter loads not necessarily less powder..

Still 60 - 70 grns is plenty in my opinion at hunting distances .. 👍

utvolsfan77

Good looking gun, and it appears too be a original.
I had a Gentleman ( gunsmith ) in Howenwald look at my 10 gauge.. and his advice was too shoot lighter loads in it…
As in, less lead, lighter loads not necessarily less powder..

Still 60 - 70 grns is plenty in my opinion at hunting distances .. 👍
@Smo I did some research after my last post. This shotgun was made by Thomas Kent in London, England, but I have no idea of how old it is. I know, in general, percussion firearms began in the 1830s and gradually began replacing flintlocks. I'd guess this gun was probably made sometime in the 1930s or 1940s.

I really want to get this ready for turkey season next year. I've set a goal to take a gobbler with this on the homeplace I grew up on along the Nolichucky River and then it will be retired and hung over the mantle.

Last edited:

Wobblyshot1

@Wobblyshot1 and @Smo, I picked up a percussion cap 16-gauge side-by-side earlier this year at anView attachment 138640View attachment 138641View attachment 138642View attachment 138643View attachment 138644 auction in Knoxville. My guess is that it is original rather than a modern reproduction. I haven't measured the muzzles with a caliper or micrometer yet, so I have no idea as to the degree of choke it has, if any at all. This shotgun appears to have been made in London from a stamping on the barrel rib. I just don't know if that is London, England or London, Kentucky.

First thing I have to do is clean it up a bit, then determine if it will be safe to shoot. Will definitely be leaning toward lighter loads for a while.

Would definitely welcome any advice from you two, or from others on this thread or forum.

@Smo I did some research after my last post. This shotgun was made my Thomas Kent in London, England, but I have no idea of how old it is. I know, in general, percussion firearms began in the 1830s and gradually began replacing flintlocks. I'd guess this gun was probably made sometime in the 1930s or 1940s.

I really want to get this ready for turkey season next year. I've set a goal to take a gobbler with this on the homeplace I grew up on along the Nolichucky River and then it will be retired and hung over the mantle.
No doubt it's old and probably cylinder bore. Pull the barrels from the stock and look for proof marks. It's the only way to determine if it's English or not. I'll go out on a limb and say it's Belgium. Sometimes you can figure the approximate age by the proofs as well.

utvolsfan77

utvolsfan77

Here's my Wm Moore 10 gauge..

View attachment 138699

According too some Gents across the pond this one dates in the 1850's bye it's proof marks..👍

I think we may have siblings, or at least close cousins. I pulled the barrels from mine a few minutes ago and the proof marks on mine appear almost identical to yours. I also discovered that mine may not be a 16 gauge after all. If the number between the proof marks is accurate, it appears to be a 15 gauge.

There are several other similarities I noticed in looking at your photos a bit closer. Mine has several metal inlays that are engraved with a lot of scrollwork. There is also a brass oval on the bottom of the buttstock, just like on yours. I'm assuming that was for the owner's initials.

Any idea of how old mine actually is? I previously guessed it was made in the 1930s but now I'm thinking it may be much older than that.
100_7040.JPG
100_7041.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts