AK47 Build

GOODWIN

Anyone ever done one? As I understand and read more about it seems there are lots of different options (depending on the quality and amount of work you want to do yourself). I've really not found a parts kit, receiver, barrel, etc that would save me much $$$ since I've been looking at some in the $500 range.

TraumaSlave

I built one about 8 yrs ago. Funny story, actually build multiple @ a time. Flew to Cleveland, Ohio with multiple kits and returned with multiple rifles that had no numbers. Airport security had lots of questions. Kit was a yugo and was before Hillary worked her magic to ban import of kits with barrels. $100 kit, $15 flat receiver, and some free rivits from a good buddy. He had the jig for the receiver, break press , and modded bolt cutters to set rivits. Build was easy. AKs are very basic. With the price jump, unless you are looking for the fun and knowledge, I wouldn't do it again. Kit, parts, rivits or screws, blue or park, its just too easy to buy factory build for not much more.

pcrc

Ive built three so far. Well to be honest have finished one. Have one ready to fire and my third, an underfolder is still in progress. Go to youtube there are tons of videos showing how to do one all the way from bending your own flat to starting with a Nodak spud. If you are handy and enjoy tinkering, have a pretty good understanding of fabrication and either have the tools are willing to buy them or make them you will find it enjoyable. If you are not a hands on type of person you probably wont be able to get through and end up with anything of any value when you are done. Like I said youtube is the place to go to see if it is something you think you may want to undertake, you just have to be mindful some of the videos are done by some very knowledgable folks and some are done by some complete nitwits. The AKFiles Forum also has some real good info as well.

GOODWIN

Ok thanks for the info guys. Still researching this. I consider myself to be pretty handy but I'll be the first to admit I know squat about it at this point. Right now a 100% receiver or even a complete rifle seem to be the better route. I was mainly interested in a build to save some money but doesn't look like that'll be the case.

LanceS4803

I've built quite a few AKMs and AK-74s, of various Russian models.

There is a definite learning curve if you want to build a nice one (rivets, NOT screws). They just don't do build parties like they used to.
The tooling will run you well over $100 for the bare minimum.
Even a 100% finished receiver (I only used NoDak) is just the start of the build.
You still have to buy a certain number of USA made parts.
Kits, with barrel assemblies, are getting tough to find. If you go with a virgin barrel, you've got a whole 'nuther set of issues to get all the right parts in place and then properly headspace.
If I were you, get a finished rifle. If you really want to get into this, join us over on The AK Forum:
http://www.theakforum.net

Latest posts