Budget ar build.

chrmayo

Have had a stripped lower sitting in the safe for over a year now. Need to do something with it. Can I build a fairly accurate 223 without spending a ton of money? If so give me some pointers to help out.

backyardtndeer

Yes, you can. Ballistic advantage/aero barrels are very reasonable and in my experience give very good accuracy. I really like aero precision parts. Good quality that does not cost a fortune.

MettBriler

Yep, unbrandedAR has a sale going for a stripped upper receiver
Spend the bulk of your budget on the barrel bolt and optic, everything else doesn't really matter. In fact there are a handful of manufacturers that sell a barrel and bolt combo that is perfectly headspaced like Rosco mfg and Criterion

44 mag

If you are not in a hurry you can find some stuff on sale. I got a Wilson combat heavy super sniper barrel a few months on sale for 179 I think. Lots of deals still around if you are patient

backyardtndeer

I got a Wilson combat heavy super sniper barrel a few months on sale for 179 I think. Lots of deals still around if you are patient
Good advice. And agree Wilson barrels are also very good for their price. Picked up an ultimate hunter barrel in 6.5 cm back last fall for about half their normal price. May still find some of the liquidated dpms/bushmaster stuff if you look.

crawford3546

Bear Creek Arsenal uppers are what I've been using for a few years now. A 16" .223 complete upper is running $289 and a mil spec lower parts and stock kit will run you around $100. I then upgrade with JP trigger springs to get a better trigger feel. Mine shoot great, I even have a 450 Bushmaster that will touch bullet holes at 100 yards

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Bear Creek Arsenal uppers are what I've been using for a few years now. A 16" .223 complete upper is running $289 and a mil spec lower parts and stock kit will run you around $100. I then upgrade with JP trigger springs to get a better trigger feel. Mine shoot great, I even have a 450 Bushmaster that will touch bullet holes at 100 yards
I'm glad that you've had good experiences with BCA. My experience with them has been a nightmare. I will NOT do business with them again.

backyardtndeer

I'm glad that you've had good experiences with BCA. My experience with them has been a nightmare. I will NOT do business with them again.
No first hand experience, but had heard several bad and mixed reviews on bca. Heard their barrels are a crap shoot with accuracy. I would steer clear of them. Too many better options for just a few dollars more.

arickettsjr

PSA is the way to go for a true "budget build." Good value. If you want to upgrade components then you can, but won't get much better as a base
That's what I did last year. $399 plus the lower and a few magazines, basic red dot, etc. Functional, reasonably accurate, all done for about $550 or so with some ammo even.

utvolsfan77

PSA is the way to go for a true "budget build." Good value. If you want to upgrade components then you can, but won't get much better as a base
I second that. If you are going to do a "rattle can" finish and don't mind a few very minor marks, go with one of their blemished units to save even more. Early last year, before COVID-19 visited, I built two with 16" 1-7 twist barrels for about $225 each.

Latest posts