AR build vs buy

Rabbitkil

If you was going to have only 1 AR that was going to be used only for the sole purpose of self defense would you buy or build one? Would it be AR15 or AR10? Needs to be as reliable as possible while remaining accurate, figured everyone having more free time this would be a good time to get some ideas on others thoughts

2in1shot

AR 15/10 would not be on my strictly home defense top 5 list. The best home defense weapon is a cylinder bore shotgun that holds multiple rounds of high brass 4 shot.

Rationale: True home defense is close range, within your house. Absolute max range of 60 ft. Shoot someone outside your house from inside and you won't have to worry about a house cause you are going to loose yours when the perps family sues you. Bird shot is not lethal after going through 1" of Sheetrock, therefore your family and neighbors don't catch stray bullets. And in a dark, high stress environment you can still hit your target without being ultra accurate. Even if the perp is carrying his own weapons, after taking 1 1/2 oz of 4 shot to the face at 25 ft, he won't be as interested in harming you.

As for any AR right now, they are not as cheap as they were just a couple months ago. A build would be the cheapest option. And it's fun putting it together.

DaveB

Depends upon the geography of where you live.

If you are in a neighborhood the shottie is a good choice.

If you let them get within shotgun range of 4's you may be facing centerfire opposition.

The 223 family is cheap to shoot and accurate enough to put one center mass at 100. Not many gonna carry on with that wound. And no one says you are under the Geneva convention so skip the FMJ's.

You may want to have more than one solution.

I would buy but the market is crazy right now you will have to be patient.

Rabbitkil

2in1shot":2xir8lss said:
AR 15/10 would not be on my strictly home defense top 5 list. The best home defense weapon is a cylinder bore shotgun that holds multiple rounds of high brass 4 shot.

Never said it was purely home defense even though it would be used there, think sorta law enforcement aspect kinda going along with the prepping idea this would be a gun you turn to and use in many situations

2in1shot

Kilby":bfa0cp1v said:
2in1shot":bfa0cp1v said:

Never said it was purely home defense even though it would be used there, think sorta law enforcement aspect kinda going along with the prepping idea this would be a gun you turn to and use in many situations

Gotcha. I guess when I think of self defense and long gun, self defense within your home is the only place where I could see using/carrying a long gun.

infoman jr.

Having built a bunch, for the price they are now, I'd buy one. This is especially true if you don't have the tools on hand. And you'd definitely want an AR15. An AR10 can become cumbersome pretty easily.

And don't listen to the guy trying to dissuade you from using an AR for home defense. That's bad advice.

I built this one for my go-to.
WZ034z6.jpg

Urban_Hunter

I'd build. Armorers wrench is $10. Upper vice block is about the same. I hate buying grips and stocks and hand guards that are just going to get removed and shelved... feel like I'm buying them twice. I wouldn't consider an ar10, they're too heavy. I would go for a minimalist style pistol build with a good brace if I were to build a home defense ar for myself.... but ar's are bad so I sold all my guns

LY

Build the lower yourself they're easy and install a decent trigger then order an upper from Bear Creek, Palmetto State or any number of others.

I'd also go with a pistol build using a 10.5" barrel. Shorter is more maneuverable, but if you go shorter than 10.5" the muzzle blast is brutal and if you ever decide to suppress it most suppressors have a .556 minimal barrel length longer than the shortest .556 barrels.

LanceS4803

Buy/build

Buy the upper of your choice. This way you don't need the vise blocks, barrel wrench and Go/No Go gauges. Doesn't make sense for a one time build. There are a ton of options out there.

Now the lower can also be bought already assembled. But if you are itching to get your hands dirty and say "I built it", they are really easy to put together. There is some tooling that is nice to have, but not really required. Plus, there are tons of videos on yt on step-by-step how to do it. I like Brownells and Midways.

As for home defense, 5.56 is much better with drywall than most pistol calibers which is why you see so many PDs switching to AR and away from MP5s. Plenty of articles on this.

duckriver

LanceS4803":383gi8q1 said:
Buy/build

Buy the upper of your choice. This way you don't need the vise blocks, barrel wrench and Go/No Go gauges. Doesn't make sense for a one time build. There are a ton of options out there.

Now the lower can also be bought already assembled. But if you are itching to get your hands dirty and say "I built it", they are really easy to put together. There is some tooling that is nice to have, but not really required. Plus, there are tons of videos on yt on step-by-step how to do it. I like Brownells and Midways.

As for home defense, 5.56 is much better with drywall than most pistol calibers which is why you see so many PDs switching to AR and away from MP5s. Plenty of articles on this.

This is what I did, built the lower and bought a rock river upper

gun nut

If you use high end parts you'll likely have around the same amount of money in a build as you would in a high end factory gun say like Daniel defense etc with out a warranty and the resale on a home built pieced together gun is harder if you ever need to with that being said they are fun to tinker with

Remington700

I have done both. I purchased a Colt which is a great gun and I have built a BCM. Both are outstanding guns. Can't go wrong either way.

kamml

I just finished a 9mm pistol build that uses my Glock mags. Its a neat firearm with a 7.5 inch ss barrel with a can for flash hider. Its short, handy and takes the same mag my pistol uses, can't beat that. Plus the longer barrel gives me a little more velocity.

Rabbitkil

kamml":2smajxdm said:
I just finished a 9mm pistol build that uses my Glock mags. Its a neat firearm with a 7.5 inch ss barrel with a can for flash hider. Its short, handy and takes the same mag my pistol uses, can't beat that. Plus the longer barrel gives me a little more velocity.

I had even thought about this option that's a big plus to take same mags that I already have

Latest posts