7mm Mag Question Need Help

DRSJ35

I personally don't have a 7mm. I shoot the 270 win with 150gr. But have been hunting with 30/30 170 corelokt lately. And what I tell people is yes this bullet or that bullet will certainly kill a deer. But what I'm after is plenty of blood. Big as possible hole. And not a 2 mile track job. Whatever grain bullet will give me that Im all about it.

7mm08

Probably going to get my head handed to me but ........ " you get what you pay for " , no more , no less.

Core-locks ..... the cheapest mushroom in the woods.

Rakkin6

I like heavier bullets in all my guns same with the arrows I shoot in my bow. Shoot 200 grain in both my .300 Win Mag and in my .35 Remington shoot 150 in my .270

RGC

I shoot the Hornaday 139 grain SST in mine. Only had one deer take a step after being shot and that was a 230lb buck that ran about 40 yards and fell over stone dead. My shots range from 50 to almost 300 yards and I have yet to have accuracy or lethality issues. Hope you find one your rifle likes and you have confidence in.

SilvaDoc

7mm-08: "get what you pay for"

Very interesting observation and I wonder if any quality/performance problems might, if they exist, tie to Remington's financial and bankruptcy woes and the impact it might have had on corner cutting. I know I bought a 700 during the initial stages of the downward spiral and had so many problems with it, Remington took it back and refunded full value. Of course, we had some conversation about that whole thing but in the end that particular rifle was a bum (long story and the last time I got it back from them it was astoundingly fouled up).

Rakkin6

7mm-08: "get what you pay for"

Very interesting observation and I wonder if any quality/performance problems might, if they exist, tie to Remington's financial and bankruptcy woes and the impact it might have had on corner cutting. I know I bought a 700 during the initial stages of the downward spiral and had so many problems with it, Remington took it back and refunded full value. Of course, we had some conversation about that whole thing but in the end that particular rifle was a bum (long story and the last time I got it back from them it was astoundingly fouled up).
Yeah I think the same thing that when they filed bankruptcy their quality control/assurance went down. My .300 is a 700 BDL but I bought it back in like 1995 and it is a rack driver

7mm08

Yeah I think the same thing that when they filed bankruptcy their quality control/assurance went down. My .300 is a 700 BDL but I bought it back in like 1995 and it is a rack driver
I'm not a business person but the cheapest box on the shelf ...... is cheap for a reason..... components, quality, etc. I would be worried about a company on the verge of bankruptcy with any of it's products.

I shoot and load Barnes & Nosler products. Cost more but all I have to worry about is making a great shot, the bullet will do it's part.

Lastly, have you ever heard a guy say " I'm going on the hunt of a lifetime" for moose, bear, elk , or sheep saying " I'm going to use Core-locks". Never.

Rakkin6

I'm not a business person but the cheapest box on the shelf ...... is cheap for a reason..... components, quality, etc. I would be worried about a company on the verge of bankruptcy with any of it's products.

I shoot and load Barnes & Nosler products. Cost more but all I have to worry about is making a great shot, the bullet will do it's part.

Lastly, have you ever heard a guy say " I'm going on the hunt of a lifetime" for moose, bear, elk , or sheep saying " I'm going to use Core-locks". Never.
Has of right now I do not handload but that will be changing. I shoot the Winchester Ballistoc Sliver Tip out of my .270/.300 and the Winchester Super X in my .35

WilcoKen

Guys an update on the Core Lokts. This afternoon I had a nice main frame 10 come in to the field at 185 yds. Basically the same shot I took at the buck last week (that I did not find). This time I made sure to really steady on the buck before squeezing off. I did and he spun left and disappeared over a slight drop in the field. Watching the does, I noticed they stayed near where I last saw him. So I went to hopefully find him. I got to the rise and there he laid piled up 30 yards from where I shot him. Very little blood on exit side and none on the ground I could see. The shot was perfect. Double lung + top of heart. 11 pt I will post separate thread. The buck last week I will chalk up to poor shot placement. Hopefully he lived. I have learned a lot from all of your replies.

SilvaDoc

"Tack driver"

I believe it. Mine was well after '95, but actually shot well. However, a great deal else was "the kind of wrong," and fixes were "the kind of wrong," that meant someone was simply not paying attention. Or even caring.

But, I shoot Barnes and Remington loaded Barnes ... am I right? Of course, certain higher standards are contracted into such things.

SilvaDoc

"The 11-pointer"

Congrats on that big buck.

Your post brings this thread full circle, sort of back to the beginning. It confirms the idea of needing to see the animal to really determine something of the terminal ballistics and forensic evidence. It also shows most any modern bullet will lay a whitetail low. And, it comes back to the lament of "no blood."

Thirty yards is not very far at "whitetail-speed" and the chest cavity has not had time to fill and leak; but it illustrates to me, once again, how frustrating they can be to find if they do not leave some red where standing when shot.

Once upon a time I seemed to get pretty consistent and immediate blood splatter with the shot you described; but I was shooting an '06. There is not much difference between 30 caliber and 7mm in hand, but I expect super slow-mo inside an animal might tell a different story. At any rate, bullets are different now days, with a premium on controlled expansion.

A 7mm and 30 yards and no blood might not be the corelokt's fault, or at least a not a flaw.

You began and ended a perfect thread. I still think corelokt's are workhorses ... not racehorses, show-horses, walkers or pacers. They will not shoot target holes with the best out there, and especially not fine tuned rifle-mated reloads. And, for all I know, there may be some economic voo doo and short-cutting in their production, but I sorta doubt it.

I am not into conspiracy theories much, not even my own.

But, they will kill 11-pointers.

Congrats on that buck.