Need help hunting trip out west

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
Ok guys need some input I was to go out west and hunt mule deer with a rifle . I can fly anywhere in the United States with that being said I can do a pack hunt where we sleep out under the stars or what ever. So this is where your guys help is needed where have you all been and where would you recommend? I would like to buy tag over counter or I can do lottery draw but like to do it in the next year or two. Give me all your info this will be my first trip

Rabbitkil

Ok guys need some input I was to go out west and hunt mule deer with a rifle . I can fly anywhere in the United States with that being said I can do a pack hunt where we sleep out under the stars or what ever. So this is where your guys help is needed where have you all been and where would you recommend? I would like to buy tag over counter or I can do lottery draw but like to do it in the next year or two. Give me all your info this will be my first trip
I'm of no help but I think last year when I was looking into it Idaho was one of the only over the counter mule deer options for rifle

Hduke86

I'd definitely focus on OTC somewhere and start now scouting places on Google. Then maybe try to get out there in the spring with boots on the ground for a few days at least. You'll be 1000x more prepared and will know what areas to avoid all together. I wouldn't hang my hopes on a lottery tag pick or draw cause you have slim to none chances of picking up one without already being in the points game the first year. Numerous states have reduced tags a good bit cause of the drought and harsh winter. I say all that to say pick a state and area sooner rather then later and make a trip outside of season just to hike,scout, and camp.

tellico4x4

Hate to be a Debbie downer, but I don't know of a single public land OTC mule deer worth the effort at this stage of the game. I bought a NE any deer on Monday but they sold out quickly & I'm hunting private ground. Landowner tags are probably best option but will cost you.

DeerMan66

Oh. From what I saw in Utah the government would have trouble giving the land away. Most of it looks like the face of the moon and won't grow weeds.

Latest posts