6.5 Creedmoor vs. 7mm -08

Nsghunter

I am looking for a deer rifle for my sons.

I have found a 6.5 Creedmoor in savage axis 2, and a savage model 11 trophy hunter predator. The predator is way out of my price range but I might consider it.

I've found the 7mm -08 in savage axis 2 xp (I don't know 5he difference in the 2 and the 2 xp)

The price for the two axis 2 is the same but I'm not sure which caliber I want. Can someone explain a few differences. Ammo cost and availability. Effectiveness on deer size game. Accuracy longevity and overall fun to shoot.

We hunt east tn deer and sometimes in southeastern Pennsylvania. Shots are usually 100 yards maybe out to 300 but realistically 100.

Are these about the same? Which one would you prefer and why?

Snowwolfe

You will find a lot more ammo choices for the 7mm/08.
Ammo costs? Just search your favorite online or local retailers and see which one is cheaper, my bet is its the 7mm/08
The 7mm/08 will also allow them to use heavier bullets so your sons can use them for bigger critters down the road.

280longshot

Bullets selection in .284 is better and for the distance you're shooting the 7-08 is my choice.
It's great with 120 gr bt...down right deadly.
It can be used with heavier bullets for elk if needed.
The 6.5 creedmoor seems to be very popular also but I'm not sure why cause the 260, 6.5x47 is close.
Either choice...not much difference..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Nsghunter

What's the recoil difference? I've heard the axis kicks like a mule!

They also had a ruger American in 7mm -08 but it didn't come with a scope

280longshot

Generally the rifle package comes with cheap mounts and scopes but I think the Savage has a descent Nikon and I think at one time the Ruger package had a Redfield.
Those 2 scopes are good.
Lighter weight rifles will kick, but like I mentioned the 7-08 in 120 gr isn't bad.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

markwondi

2-Step Enabled
For short range work like you state, I'd take the 7mm-08 with 120gr NBT or TTSX. Excellent bullets for short range whitetail hunting.

For longer range, give me the 6.5 creed with 130 VLD's.

TNRifleman

Flip a coin on the caliber. Take a hard look at the rifle model. If you are looking at the axis 2, you need to seriously consider the savage 11 trophy Hunter package. The rifle is great and built on the tried and true model 10/110 action, has an accu trigger and comes with a really good scope for the price point. Once you out glass on the axis, you will be approaching the price of the trophy Hunter model. If you should ever need or want to sell it in the future, I can't see an axis holding its value anywhere close to the model 10/110 action models.

I am speaking of the Trophy Hunter Xp package not the predator. It can be had for $491 from Grabagun and has a $75 rebate until 12/31

280longshot

TNRifleman":1yxsttk1 said:
Flip a coin on the caliber. Take a hard look at the rifle model. If you are looking at the axis 2, you need to seriously consider the savage 11 trophy Hunter package. The rifle is great and built on the tried and true model 10/110 action, has an accu trigger and comes with a really good scope for the price point. Once you out glass on the axis, you will be approaching the price of the trophy Hunter model. If you should ever need or want to sell it in the future, I can't see an axis holding its value anywhere close to the model 10/110 action models.

I am speaking of the Trophy Hunter Xp package not the predator. It can be had for $491 from Grabagun and has a $75 rebate until 12/31

I agree 100%

Riverday

I have both 7mm-08 Mossberg Patriot youth with the stock spaces to change it from youth to Adult and i just got a package deal Savage 11/111 with Nikon scope and i bought Burris Z rings to change out the cheaper rings... it's in 6.5 creedmoor and total cost was 490.00 with a 75 dollar rebate...Shells for either one of the guns will run you the same price...my choose would be the 6.5 creedmoor...flatter shooting and longer range rifle...

Nsghunter

I went with the axis 2 xp in 7mm-08. I wanted the trophy hunter Mosel but I couldn't afford the extra cash up front. I love the way it felt at the shoulder and my son liked it. I'm excited to get it to the range and start working on some loads.

Deer Assassin

recoil is based on a few things

weight of rifle weight of bullet and speed of bullet

how fast does the 6.5 push a 130 vld markwondi ?

24" bbl 7/08 seated to lands stiff charge of h414 i can push a 140 vld at 3 grand

7/08 IMO hands down

plenty of ammo choices if you dont reload vs 6.5

savages shoot good just not a fan

either way you will kill deer all day long

Nsghunter

Deer Assassin":wg272tp4 said:
recoil is based on a few things

weight of rifle weight of bullet and speed of bullet

how fast does the 6.5 push a 130 vld markwondi ?

24" bbl 7/08 seated to lands stiff charge of h414 i can push a 140 vld at 3 grand

7/08 IMO hands down

plenty of ammo choices if you dont reload vs 6.5

savages shoot good just not a fan

either way you will kill deer all day long

I didn't know the speed of the bullet also increased recoil, thanks.

7mm08

It's well known that Newton preferred a 7mm08 over a 6.5. ;)

Newton's second law of motion can be formally stated as follows: The acceleration of an object as produced by a net force is directly proportional to the magnitude of the net force, in the same direction as the net force, and inversely proportional to the mass of the object.

280longshot

7mm08":1uasp5xz said:

Newton's second law of motion can be formally stated as follows: The acceleration of an object as produced by a net force is directly proportional to the magnitude of the net force, in the same direction as the net force, and inversely proportional to the mass of the object.

:lol:

Riverday

280longshot":39limw8o said:
7mm08":39limw8o said:

:lol:
Newton's law, if you want something in long range buy a 6.5 C.... :smash: