2nd bow kill this year

huntncoach

I apologize that this may run a little long. Yesterday, I shot my second deer this year. When I inspected my arrow, there was just a little blood and I realized it was not a lung shot, but was sure it wasn't a gut shot either. I decided to track where I saw the deer run and began to find some blood. It was a difficult blood trail to say the least. In all, I guess I trailed for about 4 hours - thought about giving up a few times. I still kept finding small puddles of blood. As I was about to give up for good I heard the deer get up and fall again in a thicket near me - I am guessing about a half mile from where he was shot. I plunged through the thick briars to find him laying there dead. Now it gets interesting....

There was not entry or exit wound - at least not what is typical. The shot was low - so low that I did not get the body of the deer. The arrow had clipped the backs of both front legs, severing the tendons and arterties there. Never would I have imagined that being a fatal shot. I am thankful that I found him.

Now, how do I keep from shooting button bucks? 4 of the last 5 deer that I have killed have been buttons and three I was sure were does. This one I really had time to look at before the shot, but the others were in tight windows and I needed to shoot quickly. I just hate not allowing these young bucks to mature.

huntncoach

Thanks, easy. I had them with me for that reason this time, but was afraid to move too much. Of course, they were still in my pack at the time, too. Another lesson learned. TNDeer is a great resource, thanks to all of the other posters. Aside from checking with binocs, are there other ways to help determine deer sex in the moment? Again, 3 of 4 of these buttons have been alone - that fact coming to me as I recall the hunts in my mind.

Buckbuster03

huntncoach, In my experience there are no ABSOLUTES when trying to tell does apart from young bucks.

Like easy45 said inspect the head closer with binos. Get you a nice bino harness to where you can keep your binos tight to your chest and can use them with very minimal movement.

My check list goes like this..

These items below are taking into account that you are already trying to shoot somewhat Larger deer (ie. 80-110 lbs) If you are shooting 50 pounders just out of spots its harder to tell and I would recommend waiting for larger deer if you don't want to accidentally kill bucks.

1.) Body size - how big is the deer? does it look like it has short stubby legs and appear to be more square vs. rectangular? More square and stubby legs usually = buck.
Does ten to be more long shaped.

2.) Head- Is it long and bottle shapped(rounded on top) or short and flat on top? Does tend to have a long bottle shaped head.

3.) Mannerisms - Is the deer cautious and alert? A doe that is 80-110 lbs is generally 2.5-4.5 years old and has more life experience therefore making them much more cautious. The same sized buck that is without horns is usually only 1.5 years old therefore is young and careless.

*Like I said above, there really are no absolutes as all deer are like people and have different traits and characteristics but if you follow the general guidelines listed above you should be on your way to avoiding those button bucks*

Winchester

Congrats and not shooting buttons will be very easy if you just don't shoot fawns. Seriously, just don't shoot any of this years deer, which are very easy to distinguish this time of year by size and confirmation. Now later toward seasons end some of the early born fawns will be harder to distinguish from yearling does, but with some precaution you can still distinguish them.

huntncoach

Thanks for the info. Buckbuster. The body and head shape will help me a lot. I guess the deer yesterday was a little less cautious than what I have witnessed in mature does. He was a lot more intent on eating acorns. I had seen two does for sure prior to this guy, and they were both very cautious - as all that I have seen this year have been except one, and I missed her.

huntncoach

Thanks for your advice, Winchester. To be honest, I know one was a fawn, but the others I did not know immediately. Like I said earlier, the lanes that I have to shoot are typically small (in pine trees on a paper lease), so my shots are usually quick decisions. Of course, not the case at all yesterday because I was in a patch of hardwoods. This deer was nearly 80 pounds dressed, but was still a button. I promise I am not out to shoot yearlings and fawns - that's why I posted this. Of course, now that I have a couple of deer already this year, I plan to become much more selective and only attempt to hunt good bucks. I anticipate this being a big help in identifying the age of the deer also, since I will let lots of younger ones pass. Thanks again.

Winchester

I didn't mean to imply you shoot them purposely, sorry if it came across that way. I can see where small windows of opportunity limit your identification process as well.

Andy S.

Congrats on your kill. Be leery of single deer this time of year as most (not all) are either button heads or yearling bucks (spikes, etc). Buttons typically have a short flat head and does a longer rounded head, so to speak. Buttons are typically less cautious and will allow hunters to get away with just about anything (movement, noise, etc), whereas most does are more attentive and pay attention to their surroundings, oftentimes looking up and around every 10-20 seconds in an attempt to pick off any danger they perceive as a threat. If you are interested, this poster for $10 may be useful to help you distinguish the two. Good luck.

http://www.qdma.com/shop/selective-antl ... est-poster

huntncoach

Winchester said:
I didn't mean to imply you shoot them purposely, sorry if it came across that way. I can see where small windows of opportunity limit your identification process as well.

No problem - I didn't take it that way. Just wanted to make sure people don't think I am just shooting everything that moves. I want to be a responsible hunter and leave those young buck alone so they can mature and either me or the others on my lease can have a shot at more mature bucks in the future. I appreciate your advice and take it all in to make myself a better hunter. No offense taken - I think I may have implied that in my reply. Most of what I read on here seems to be sound advice from more experienced hunters than myself. Thanks again.

bigtex

Congrats, any deer with a bow is a good deer.
I try not to shoot button bucks and most of the time spikes, but it happens. When it does i don't beat myself up too long. They all eat good.

in the dog house

I think this has probably been said, but this time of year if its a lone deer its almost always a button or spike. Not 100% fool proof but If its alone really inspect the deer before shooting, and if I already have plenty of meat, instant walk.

cozy23

I shot one yesterday. She was alone. I kept checking for buttons but could never see any. Even at 15 yards. I took the shot and found the deer and was relieved that it was a doe. It's hard to tell for sure.

MMHunter

Yes it is,
in the dog house! said:
I think this has probably been said, but this time of year if its a lone deer its almost always a button or spike. Not 100% fool proof but If its alone really inspect the deer before shooting, and if I already have plenty of meat, instant walk.
I'm probably gonna go with this for now on in early bow season.

Latest posts