2nd best 20ga load

Tenntrapper

Not exactly what you asked, but I shoot #9 TSS in a 28g. Haven't missed one yet. I can't recommend anything for 20g as I don't shoot that gauge. I've killed turkey with just regular #6s with a 16g though. Shoot what patterns good, and be mindful of your range.

CHRIS WILSON

If you don't want to pay the cost of full TSS loads.....Federal 3rd Degree. It's a mix of #5 and 6 lead shot with #7 shot TSS. Gives a pretty decent pellet count. Cost runs about half that of full TSS load.

30-06 type of guy

Attachments

• E483DF75-2E14-474E-8355-765A8E8087CD.png
    E483DF75-2E14-474E-8355-765A8E8087CD.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 57

Longbow2240

Been hunting turkeys with a 20 gauge for 31 years. Used about every load. If you're not wanting to go with TSS I'd find some Winchester Longbeards #6's and an extra full turkey choke is about all a man really needs to get the job done.
If you can find some, the Remington Premiere #6's are good loads as well. Used those many years with my 870 and the factory extended SF choke.

Last edited:

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
Federal heavyweight #7s or 1 5/8 ounce #9 tss. Really the best two options and not in that order. The shells are the biggest liability and the best insurance. With as expensive turkey hunting can be, why not shoot the best shells to insure success? I'll never shoot anything else regardless of gauge. I'm set up to load .410, 20, and 12 and have been for years. I own enough components to hunt with the rest of my life.
I was thinking federal quit making the heavyweights about 5 years ago? They were really solid shells

Rakkin6

Been hunting turkeys with a 20 gauge for 31 years. Used about every load. If you're not wanting to go with TSS I'd find some Winchester Longbeards #6's and an extra full turkey choke is about all a man really needs to get the job done.
If you can find some, the Remington Premiere #6's are good loads as well. Used those many years with my 870 and the factory extended SF choke.
This is kind of what I was thinking also. Finally bought my first 20 gauge for turkey but I am using TSS. If I was going to shoot lead I would shoot LB #6 and go with an Indian Creek .555 choke.

Hevishot 13

Honestly guys, I hated the thought of TSS and the money it was going to cost. I refused it for a long time. I would shoot a 12 gauge with Hevishot 13 #6s and it just wasn't what I thought it could be. I finally gave in and bought all the stuff to load 20 gauge. Now I will NEVER turkey hunt with ANYTHING else. I load TSS in 12, 20, and .410. It's amazing that my .410 has a better, more complete pattern than my 12 gauge ever did with 3" #6 Hevishot.

I owe it to the bird I hunt to do my best not to cripple him and wound him in any way. I want to be as ethical as possible to him. TSS is that way. I don't use it to take 80 yards shots. But I know at 30 yards that bird will die quickly and cleanly. No whiffs only to find a pile of feathers the next day. I owe it to that bird once the game has been played.

You spend tons of money on leases, plots, guns, vests, calls, gas, time in scouting. What's $50 per year? I spend that a weekend in gas scouting!