.22 rifle recommendations

Creek

Wanting to upgrade my boys youth mdl savage to a full size .22. been looking at pumps and auto's they want an semi auto but never seen one that didn't jam. Been looking at the rem pump 572.
There are many reliable semi autos.
However, I would never take anything for my Marlin Bolt 25N. I believed Ive had it since new for around 20+ years ago, so its old rusted but shoots groups dreams are made of with the cheap Thunderbolts. I opted for the black plastic stock years ago.
I believe they still make them with the micro-grooved barrels like mine. It took me several 50 count boxes to get the lead build up in the barrel, but once I did the groups continued to tighten. Never clean the bore unless it starts getting off poi. Naturally cant shoot as fast as the semi but the trade off of reliability and accuracy are worth it imo, and its easier to clean the action.

brassmagnet

Don't know what you have in mind for them to shoot, but I got a Rossi lever action that is just plain fun and more accurate than I can hold. I have an old Marlin- Glenfield bolt action that is my tried and true squirrel gun. The trouble with semis is most have a magazine hanging in the way, 10-22's are a great choice just for the many upgrades and options to reconfigure them, truly the AR of 22's. Make it like you want it and change your mind as much as you can afford.

mike243

Accuracy has always been a hit or miss with the rugers, I favor my marlin 7000 , they don't make it any more but they do make a 795 that has a lighter barrel, folks have had great luck with them. mags are easy to get for them. Browning's little semi has always been a great gun but are pricey with several grades to chose from, the 597 had a lot of issues jamming and accuracy not sure if they fixed that or not. Lots of choices

Creek

most have a magazine hanging in the way
Thats the only aspect I dont like about my Marlin 25N.

If I ever bought another .22 rifle Im pretty sure it would be a bolt action tube feed. But, due to my age and my crippled hand and trying to operate the bolt action, I might opt for a Marlin 60. 🤔 but Im sure my old reliable 25N will outlast me at this point.
I looked on Marlin's website and I guess they dont make the 25N per se. They are now called the XT Series.

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
2-Step Enabled
I have a marlin 60, never had it jam....but I've always wanted a 10/22. From take down to bull barrel. So many customizations IMO.

Tenntrapper

CZ also makes a semi auto, I believe it is the 512.
I would suggest a CZ 457 bolt action. Very accurate, and can interchange barrels..22lr, 22 mag, and 17 hmr.....and 17 mach 2, if you can find it.

7mm08

I had a 10/22. Did not really like it. Some jamming issues

Bought a 30 year old Marlin 60 off this site and it drives tacks without a hiccup. All kinds of parts on ebay or secondary manufacturing sites, or gunbroker. A gun built since 1960 says a lot in my opinion

Attachments

• 98B3FCC5-1ACA-45F4-97E6-26823A641ADA.jpeg
    98B3FCC5-1ACA-45F4-97E6-26823A641ADA.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 55

Latest posts