1911 Handgun Question

huntinman

I have never been into hand guns, but I am getting the itch for a 1911. I never realized there were so many manufacturer's out there. If I had a 1000.00 budget, what would you get and why? A guy at my work has a 45 acp Kimber with a 5" barrel, blued. I really liked the feel of that gun. I will sit back and see everyone's opinion.

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
Any of the Kimbers or Springfield Armory pistols will do you fine with a $1000 budget.

Tiny

Have always felt the only 1911 was a COLT nothing wrong with any of them. I prefer the "Commanders" better than the full sized versions. A lot depends on what you plan to do with it. I do like the Para-ORD LDA's. Have heard good things and looked at but not shot the Dan Wesson's

That siad go out and look and get the one you like best.

Kimberman

Dan Wesson, Kimber, Springfield, S&W, Sig. I have heard too many horror stories on the craftmanship and lacking customer support on the Paras for me to buy one.

huntinman

I have been on the Kimber and Springfield Armory websites. I really like the looks of the Kimber Royal II, suggested msrp @ 1013.00 and the Kimber Custom Crimson II @ 1156.00 msrp. Does anyone on here have either of these 2?

Kimberman

I had the Kimber Custom II(same gun without the laser grips). It was a very accurate gun, and after it was broken in, was flawless in function. I traded it twords a Kimber rifle, but I do miss that pistol.

Model70Man

I had a Sig GSR 1911 Revolution Nitron that was an awesome pistol. I loved to shoot it. It is probably the best shooting pistol I've ever shot. It became a safe queen though because of it's size weight. I eventually traded it because I never used it and very rarely shot it. If you are a small framed person like me, you will probably never carry it.

Kimberman

My Dad has a Colt Gold Cup. It's a very nice pistol that costs alot of money, and it's a Colt, which I guess is a big deal for some folks. All of that being said that gun, and the 3-4 other Colts I have shot were no where near as accurate as the Kimbers, S&W, Springfields, or even the Taurus 1911s that I have shot. I think people like them for their name and mistique more than anything else.

rdl65

I never knew they quit selling to the public. They got politically correct with their assault weapons and only sold to LEO and Military the ones with all the evil features. After the ban sunset dealers are selling Leo and Military versions to the public.

mr.big

stik said:
rdl65 said:
If it's not a COLT it's just a copy.

actually it's a john browning design. colt caved to the antis and i will never have a colt gun. kimber or springfield.

I dont remember exactly what it was now,,but seems like S&W done something about the same time that pissed me off,,early 90`s