14 year old daughter’s 10 pointer

TN Larry

Congrats to you both! Beautiful gun and a beautiful deer bring on a beautiful smile. It looks like the girls on here got it done yesterday.

HUNT4ONE

The morning started out kinda slow. Made it up the hill and in to the stand about 6:15. Perfect light wind outa the North blowing right in our faces. I noticed on the drive in there weren't any deer out in the creek bottom fields so I figured they might move a little late.

Finally about 7:30 I caught a little movement off to my left about 80 yards. Old doe and her twins feeding on acorns. I asked if she wanted to kill a doe but she declined that offer lol. They gradually fed around and got basically under us. The old doe caught our scent on the trail we walked in on and backed tracked us. She completely disappeared the rest of the morning.

About 8:00 I caught more movement in the same spot. Saw that it was a buck but it's pretty dang hairy through there. I tried to get her on him but she just couldn't get a good enough rest to be steady. She said she didn't want to try to make a shot she wasn't comfortable with and miss or hit him bad. Perfect! Right answer! That's the moral thing to do.

He milled around for 30 mins in the same spot. Back and forth. She couldn't hardly see him over a small tree right beside the stand. She asked me every 30 seconds, "Do you still see him? What's he doing? Where's he going?"

Finally he started easing our way. The 2 little twins were still right under us so it was kinda hard to get her moved and in position without them catching us and spooking everything in the country.

He was walking the same trail the other 3 walked which comes to a perfect opening for a 40ish yard shot. I had her ready to shoot that spot. I told her I would stop him when he was in the middle of it. He walked in and stopped on his own. I took the safety off and told her if she wants him, put it behind the shoulder and squeeze the trigger. BOOM!

He humped up in a death run and ran across the ridge out of sight. She was shaking so bad I thought she was gonna shake the 2 man ladder stand off the tree 😂.

"Did I get him?!" Let's just give it a few mins dear. I knew he was dead. But I was afraid for her to try to come down the ladder as tore up as she was.

We got down and walked to where he was standing. Pieces of lungs everywhere! She asked why it looked like that. So I explained it to her and we talked about different blood meaning different things. Follow the blood trail that Ray Charles could have followed about 40 yards and there lay her deer.

To say she was happy would be an understatement! I haven't seen a female that happy over a deer since ole Margaret in the Tree Lounge Trophy video from the early 90's.

He's an 18 month old 10. It's the kind of deer you want to live cause he sure had the potential to make a monster. But to see your kid that happy…wow! Being happy with deer like that is like believing in Santa Clause. That magic only lasts so long. And once it's gone, it's gone forever. And the world is a darker place for it.

I am TRULY blessed and thankful to have a kid like her and to have the opportunities to hunt the places we do.

Killed at 8:30 this morning. Remington Model 700 7mm-08.
Great story...great hunt.....and were there to remember it forever! God bless and thanks for bringing youth to experience the hunt.... so cooool!!!

Shag

I know Pops is late to the party, but CONGRATULATIONS to her and to YOU! LOL that stand is in a pretty good spot!
My favorite spot on that ridge. I love a good low gap like that! I only know the good spots because you taught me. I'm trying my best to pass the knowledge down to her.

Huntaholic

My favorite spot on that ridge. I love a good low gap like that! I only know the good spots because you taught me. I'm trying my best to pass the knowledge down to her.
That was my job as a father. Ive told everybody I know that if you or your brother set your mind to killing or hunting something, you boys are as good as I am, maybe better.
I will say this, it does an old man proud when either one of you call me or ask me to come help you figure a critter out. To be honest, its easy to figure it out when youve already done all the work. If you notice, I will always ask you what you have tried and what then result was. Once I know that, it can look easy! SOMEBODY, (hint, YOU) needs to hunt that stand in the very back Saturday morning! I wont be here so you need to do it!

Latest posts