Old 10 down early!

Ski

Big boy!! Congrats, I love the cat and mouse game. We don't have many "big" bucks in our area but the thrill of putting in the work and outsmarting a mature deer is my trophy. Great story.

Thank you! He gave me a little more trouble than I'm used to for sure. Smart old deer. He just wouldn't give me a chance. I kept readjusting and somehow it seemed like he'd know it. I knew I was inside the few acre core he spent his daylights in but when you're bow hunting, a few acres may as well be a few miles. You have to get inside his personal space bubble. Fortunately the day prior I was finally able to pin him down on a particular tree. Didn't get a shot but I was able to see him continually circling one particular white oak, vacuuming up the acorns. I moved the stand yet again to shoot that tree and I got him.

Just like he did in the velvet hunt, he stood back in the shadows watching like a statue as the younger deer browsed around & through my shooting zone. He got me like that when I was trying to get him in velvet. He waited & watched from afar as a younger buck snooped all around under my tree. When he saw the young deer catch my ground scent & get nervous, the old guy turned 180* and disappeared right back into the thick. Same thing this time but lucky for me he's chased away all the other competitive aged bucks so it was only a couple young does, fawns, and a yearling buck under the stand. As soon as they drifted off without alert he dropped his guard and came right in. Once I saw him comfortable with face on ground slurping up acorns, I felt good. He'd done messed up. I don't even remember aiming. It's like I drew the bow and next thing is that unmistakable sound of smacking a drum. 60yds and 4 seconds later and he tips over. Then I'm up til 1am cutting meat!

I love bow hunting. Shot my first bow buck in the early-mid 90's and still get just as excited. I amost can't even enjoy rifle hunting. Almost :)

Ski

Way to go, Ski! It's always nice to get it done early! Such a good feeling. Congrats!

Thank you. Yes it's a good feeling. Bittersweet in a good way. I don't have any other bucks I'm particularly interested in but who knows what'll show up now that he's gone. Tis the season for drifters looking to set up new home! Just so happens there's a vacancy 😁

Latest posts