100 or 150 grain for muzzleloader

Stalker

DEER ASSASSIN said:
depends on length of barrel

if your barrel is less than 26 inches you are wasting money
a chrony dont lie
you really need a 28 or 29 inch barrel to gain an advantge in velocity ie omaga or cva optima pro

Or Remington Genesis...28" barrel and way cheeper.

Stalker

As everyone else that knows anything about ML said...You have to get range time in and start with small charges on the bullet you want to use and work your way up until it is grouping satisfactory. Too much powder is a waist...ends up on the ground infront of you and causes worse fouling which really sucks when you need that second shot fast because, you were drulling over the antlers when the first one went off... :grin:

I do not know much about Omega's but I would start any ML with no more than 90gr (I use 777) and slowly work up until a good grouping appeared and then I would continue up until it went away and then back down and verify. Some good advise would be to record this data in a small note book so that you know your most accurate charge range. Also, gives you data to compare when trying new bullets... my .02

Good luck!

Boone 58

Was 150 for about 3 years then 130 last year.....Now that hornady has come out with the fpb bullet i am going to try 100,110,120,130.....until i figure out which is the best overall and then hang with it for a while to test out the kill factor...cant wait!

jakeway

Once you get to 100 grains, the incremental benefits of each additional grain becomes less and less, and may even drop. If your barrel is too short, not all the powder will burn inside the barrel anyway.

I used 95 gr of FFFg with my .490 patched round ball for years. When I went to in-lines with bullets, I started at 95 and worked up in 5 grain increments. I also used two 50 gr pellets (777) and three 50 grain pellets. I got the best results, both for shooting and for cleaning, with 110 gr of loose 777, under a 300 gr XTP. My only complaint with the loose is that it isn;t as easy to load a second shot in th efield, but I;ve always had plenty of time for that. There are decent reloading devices to let you carry loose loads ready to go.

Boone 58

Yes, what winchester said......I think there is a direct corelation to best accuracy and best results. I have been a firm believer for about 3 years that the 150 charge was best, then went to 130....Now this season i am going to focus on the best results thru trial and error at the range. I know i wont go less than 100 grains no matter what but i am going to focus on the 100,110,120 and 130 amounts. I use the 777 and have been using powerbelts....this year i will stay with the 777 and focus on the hornady fpb sabotless bullet that has just come out and will report back with results from the range when completed.

tndeerslayer

David.......Go to Ebay and search hunting DVDs for TC Omega video.......Best money I ever spent......Tells all, bullet powder(not pellets) and cleaning.......Shows how they test and shoot 1 inch groups at 100yds......Good Luck

Latest posts