2017 Applications

AT Hiker

wjohnson1983":25zctfyj said:
I don't know if NV is a state where you can go back and change your choices, but if you want to try and coordinate something to hunt together now or in the future let me know. I know choosing a hunting partner usually takes time to build up that trust. What is the old saying, "Take more time choosing your hunting partner than your wife."

Feel free to email me if you want to.

Ha! I've been pretty lucky on both fronts so far but your right. Couple thousands miles away from home and a dozen miles into the backcountry can test your limits.
I might check into NV, it will have to be a future hunt on my end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AT Hiker

Montana Mule Deer. Cannot wait to replenish my supply.
05c06444e8c7644b633289072340e014.jpg

AT Hiker

Gonna opt out of NV for now. The cost of building points is not in my budget even though I really want to hunt Muleys there one day.

wjohnson1983

So I haven't really looked into KS in all my point building. I do know they work on a point system from seeing other people post though.

How's the public land hunting out there as far as access, amount, crowding? It seems everyone either does a lease or outfitter when they go to KS.

AT Hiker

-No points for mule deer in KS. Very little "public" land but they do have a decent amount of "whia", which is leased private ground for public use.
-The whitetail draw is on a point system.
-archery season is supposedly crowded on these lands, it's finding the right spot that is key. Living far away makes that a chore.
-I secure private land as my main plan and hit up the public lands as backups and mid day scouting.
-Mule Deer are not really a "trophy" in KS but giants do exist, I just want to kill one in KS and hope I can kill a good one while trying. The tag is also good for a whitetail, so if mac daddy walks out I'm busting him...but it has to be worth the extra $150 the mule deer tag cost.
-draw odds for Ks mule deer are low. You must draw a whitetail tag in one of the mule deer units then draw the mule deer tag. And you can only draw a archery or muzzle loader mule deer tag in KS, no non resident rifle tags.

wjohnson1983

Utah credit cards hits started happening last night. Nothing for me yet, but I have a less than 1% chance anyways since this is my first year.

LanceS4803

wjohnson1983":2m784vqo said:
Utah credit cards hits started happening last night. Nothing for me yet, but I have a less than 1% chance anyways since this is my first year.

I hope you are VERY patient.
This is my 13th year and no love from Utah.
This is for Once in a Lifetime hunts (no surprise there) and the medium level LE deer, so I guess no surprise either.
I am about to just go ahead and pay for a landowner tag while still building points.

wjohnson1983

I'm patient enough. I could swing the money for a tag right now if I lucked up in the random draw, but honestly time and money wise it would be better if I didn't for a few more years. After hunting antelope in WY last year I decided I need to get in the points game for other states. I started NV and AZ this year also.

I have a few backup plans in the works right now. I just have to decide what to do. My grandfather may want to do OTC elk 2nd rifle in CO; I have enough points to draw a good antelope tag or decent deer tag in WY; I have friends from AK that want me to come moose hunt. The problem there is AK just doubled prices for everything, so its $1600 - $2000 just for the round trip plane ticket, license, and tag.

Anybody planning on going to WY this year? I haven't put my apps in yet. I was kind of waiting to see if I drew NV before I applied.

AT Hiker

I'm putting my WY app in soon. I'm doing the special app so I can draw my second choice region. One buddy had to back out due to work and Buzzard Breath is a California hippy so he ain't going either.
Looks like I'm backpacking in alone this fall. Unless someone else that can backpack hunt wants to talk.

AT Hiker

Poser":3elkfmfb said:
AT Hiker":3elkfmfb said:
I'm putting my WY app in soon. I'm doing the special app so I can draw my second choice region. One buddy had to back out due to work and Buzzard Breath is a California hippy so he ain't going either.
Looks like I'm backpacking in alone this fall. Unless someone else that can backpack hunt wants to talk.

Maybe, possibly. Work is kind of silly-all over the place right now, but I may settle into a different job come July. What's the time frame?

I plan to leave TN Oct 13 and be back by the 22nd.
Wjohnson1983 is planning on going too, he put his app in last night. If your able to swing it let me know.

Buzzard Breath

AT Hiker":170as0xe said:

The sorry part is that I'm probably in the best shape I've been in for years. My wife was wanting to loose some weight, so I've been working out 3 mornings a week, running 3 mornings a week, and hiking 2 nights and all day on Sundays for the past 7 months. The mountains don't have anything on me this year. My BIL had better say yes at this wedding.

Maybe my work will stop coming in and I can at least show up and help pack. But, I wouldn't count on it. I found an awesome spot to possibly kill a big buck in Ohio this year. Then I'm going to concentrate on killing a TN bear and hog.

I've done a pretty good job of building up yard passes, so I should have a decent opportunity to spend a bunch of time hunting g this fall.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

AT Hiker

Screwed up royally and missed the MT deadline for pronghorn, so I missed a year of possibly drawing and a bonus point. I CANNOT for get next year or I will loose my points. Just been a crazy last few months for me and I let it slip...

I just submitted my AZ coues application, hopefully I will get lucky and draw another Dec tag. Then I will need to convince Poser to head South and meet me for some tacos and Coues desert mountain hunting.

wjohnson1983

Haven't gotten into the MT points game yet. Bought a point for deer and sheep in AZ since I already have the license from the elk/antelope draw.

wjohnson1983

I realize a sheep tag is probably a pipe dream, but a point is $15 if you already have a license. Can't draw the tag if you don't play the game.

turk870

Been a crazy year at work, wasn't sure I could get any time off in October so I didn't put in for colorado.
I did apply for late December Arizona tags for the first time,put in on spur of the moment so if I do get a tag going to have a lot of research, basically just picked some late season hunts not on the border.First time I've ever put in for a tag without a game plan first.we shall see.

bigtex

Tomorrow's the day for Wyoming Deer, and Antelope draw results. Got my fingers crossed for an Antelope tag for my Grandson and myself in unit 26.

Latest posts