2017 Applications

AT Hiker

Flying out for a summer scouting trip would for sure be part of the plan. I need to do some draw odd research on that unit. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AT Hiker

Just scored a REI Magma 10 sleeping bag for $262. This 850 down bag weighs 1.14lbs, comparable bags are going to easily run close to $400, if not more.
REI sent me a 25% off REi brand coupon, free shipping on orders over $100, and since it was shipped to a KY address they didn't charge me for the tax (no worries Uncle Sam, you will get your money [emoji6]). *Not to mention whatever credit I get for using my REi master card too. Likely to have under $250 in it once it is said and done. Plus a warranty that cannot be beat
Got a Yellowstone trip planned for Sept and a WY Muley hunt for mid Oct, so I get to break it in good.

AT Hiker

Poser":crh0j00m said:
Pretty good weight for a 10 degree bag. Still afraid of converting to a quilt?

Well, to be honest this bag is going to serve dual purpose. My wife already has a good bag that she uses for both backpacking and base camping. We are going to be camping a few nights in Yellowstone late Sept so we needed another bag for that, something to keep my kid warm. So actually this purchase is justified as "for the kid"[emoji12].

I have a underquilt for my hammock but it's a tad short and the draw strings don't make it practical for stand alone use, but I have considered selling it and investing my in a quilt. But, like my fear of a floorless shelter, the comfort I get in a mummy bag keeps me from making the leap. My creature comfort of a tent and mummy bag out weight the weight benefits at this moment. Yet the idea of a stove is pretty dam intriguing.

Mid-Tenn

Drew an alligator tag for coastal Texas, JD Murphree WMA.

I'm watching this storm and thinking Texas Fish and Game might wind up cancelling the hunt.

In 2008, hurricane Ike flooded this area with a salt water storm surge that killed off a lot of vegetation and a sizeable amount of wildlife.

Harvey appears to be taking a very similar path as did Ike.

My understanding is it took quite a few years before things got back to normal.

Having friends in this area has me more concerned for their safety than any drawn hunt.

Attachments

• Effect_20170825_193015.jpg
    Effect_20170825_193015.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 2,033

J_W

Poser":3eta7d9w said:
Buzzard Breath":3eta7d9w said:
AT Hiker":3eta7d9w said:
Looks like we got a "crew".

Judging by the trophy pics I see, I thought having a "crew" was a prerequisite for being in AZ?

It'll be like a safari trophy pic: we'll have 10 guys huddled around a tiny coues deer. No need to pack it out, well just eat the whole thing on the spot.

I don't check in on here often enough due to time constraints, but if this trip ever happens I am 100% in if someone will hit me up in advance! Well worth it imo

J_W

I'll be in WY for rifle pronghorn a couple days ahead of the Oct 1st opener to scout/glass and hopefully find a decent buck to hunt.
I also got into the WY deer and elk points game this year, and am looking at doing so in Montana since they recently made some changes.

Mid-Tenn

Oh, well. It's not like I wasn't expecting it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-09-06-14-57-02.png
    Screenshot_2017-09-06-14-57-02.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,947

Latest posts