2017 Applications

megalomaniac

I hope no one puts in for NM ever again... bastages really screwed the NR's unless you are willing to give the outfitters a huge chunk of $$$. I could have lived with the purchase of the NR hunting license to apply... but 8% of all tags to NR's.. that's just a waste of my time now.

LanceS4803

AT Hiker":37er3sb7 said:
Got my AZ Pronghorn and Elk apps in today. Hoping I am one of the lucky 1%er's to draw the tags.

Better odds than the lottery.
Utah got a nice payment from me this year, as usual.

tree_ghost

nwsg76":dkp5yg16 said:
Arizona elk jan. Then my annual donation to utah for deer and elk in feb. I think new mexico elk also. Not much of chance to actually draw any of these but you have to try. Then iowa for bow tag (should draw). Points only in colorado deer and elk. Wyoming points for deer ,elk, antelope. North dakota mule deer is another one I have good chance to draw this year with 8 bonus points.
Crap.. I hope my wife never reads this....lol

What does a year worth of collecting priority points in this many states cost a man?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wjohnson1983

You can look at my Western Draws thread where I started it by asking a similar question. Depends on the states and species though.

These are for just points.

AZ = $220 for 4 species
NV = $182 for 4 species
WY ~$100 for 3 species
UT ~$100 for 4 species

In most states you have to front the cost for the tag when you enter the draw. If you don't draw then, you get a refund minus the license and app fees.

CO even with the point only option you have to pay for the tag and then get refunded later. NM is completely random with no points. I haven't researched MT enough to understand it.

LanceS4803

wjohnson1983":262tj2br said:
You can look at my Western Draws thread where I started it by asking a similar question. Depends on the states and species though.
These are for just points.
UT ~$100 for 4 species

And this is every other year, when you have to buy a state hunting license. The other year is just $10 a point per species.
Bargain!

Dean Parisian

Pamelot, TN Ghost Ranc MT San Jose del Cabo, MX
I put in for several western states every year. For some hunts I do all the applications myself, for others I use a service.

www.huntinfool.com has a great service if you want to take some long shots on buying landowner tags, sheep, oryx, goats, moose, etc..........

They are good at what they do and getting better. Extremely knowledgeable and friendly.

www.huntinfool.com

J_W

Been debating on starting to buy points in Arizona. I know today is the last day for elk and antelope...and I still haven't pulled the trigger. The idea of spending that much for several years with almost no chance to draw is tough for a guy wanting to take a trip every year.

AT Hiker

$125 later I have Utah in. Some really neat muzzle loader seasons opened this year. Would be sweet to draw one of them....or hit the power ball.

MT is coming up, probably not going to apply for a buck tag this year. Im still going with a friend and my grandfather but Im hoping to draw a WY tag. If I dont draw WY then I will hope MT has a left over I can snag up, if not I might try for a doe tag and try to stick one with a bow.

I also put in for LBL turkey....no wonder application businesses exist, this stuff gets time consuming and not to mention very pricey.

dgolden

Going elk hunting in Colorado in 2018 in a unit with OTC tags. Looking at starting to build preference points for mule deer in Colorado. How long does it typically take to get a refund from them for the cost of the tag when you do not get drawn?

AT Hiker

Yea, CO takes their time on refunds. You will get your elk check back and what feels like a eternity later you will get your deer.

AT Hiker

Got my grandfathers MT deer combo app in. I'm pretty excited about this trip, even though I'm not applying for a tag. You see, him and my good friend are going to be hunting rutting mule deer in mid Nov. All I have to do is help spot some nice ones to go after and take plenty of pictures. I'm contemplating buying a anterless tag and trying to sneak up on one with a bow.

WG3

AT Hiker":2lkgjr3u said:
Got my grandfathers MT deer combo app in. I'm pretty excited about this trip, even though I'm not applying for a tag. You see, him and my good friend are going to be hunting rutting mule deer in mid Nov. All I have to do is help spot some nice ones to go after and take plenty of pictures. I'm contemplating buying a anterless tag and trying to sneak up on one with a bow.

do it man, more meat for the pot and a hell of story

AT Hiker

Colorado points are next, I hear they are baiting animals in the Gunnison area to keep hem away from Hwy 50. No feeding this year so hopefully that's good news.
What ya say Poser?

AT Hiker

That sucks, so this winter rivals the winters of 07-08 (I think those were the bad ones that started early in the year and caused all the crusted snow and killed a bunch).

Latest posts