2017 Applications

Buzzard Breath

Region g just got alot harder to draw.

c9e29e2af7f07bdd1688af878278d03d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Buzzard Breath

The antelope unit I was wanting to draw actually added tags. So I'm pretty sure I should draw with 3 points.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

AT Hiker

Poser":bgfxlc8x said:
nwsg76":bgfxlc8x said:
I had planned on applying for unit 54 in Gunnison 3rd or 4th season deer tag. But as my luck....all the snow has made me pull the chicken switch. Hard to burn 12+yeas of points with that much doubt....

You need TWELVE points for 3rd/4th season rifle tags in 54? Ouch!

Are you switching units or just waiting another year?

That 4th season 54 tag was a 50% chance of drawing with 18pts last year! Here is the thing, last year those late season hunts where optimal time frames so people started cashing in points. Sadly, or actually it's how hunting works, the weather didn't push those deer down into the sage flats and therefore a lot of hunters (other premo units too) did not kill or see those 170"+ deer they waited up to 20yrs for. So guess what, those premo units are heavy on the top end bucks. Now that's assuming winter kill doesn't wipe them all out but even if it does this year should still be good as winter kill usually affects the hunting a couple years down the road. Personally, I would go for it if I was ready to hunt this fall.

Actually, if I was able to hunt CO this year I would go in those premo units with archery and hunt those high basins in the wilderness but that's only gonna cost you 1-2 points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AT Hiker

Buzzard Breath":31619nby said:
I jumped the gun. These are PROPOSED tags and dates. They'll be decided on next month.

Yea, since winter has at least one more gut punch for the West I suspect those tag numbers will change.

But WY game and fish is extremely political so those outfitters might get the tags they want anyways, winter kill and herd dynamics be damned.

AT Hiker

Poser, check into the muzzleloader seasons too. Although the bow hunters put the pressure on the high country deer, you still have a slight advantage with not having to close the distance as close.

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
Moose in Maine can be brought out whole or quartered. All edible meat has to be brought out though. That would be a cool hunt to be a part of.

wjohnson1983

I didn't make the CO donation this time around. Just couldn't swing paying for the points and waiting until June or later for the refund. I may be hunting OTC with my granddad (75) and his college buddy though somewhere around Steamboat Springs. They went to Colorado State back in the day and his friend still lives in Ft. Collins. Could get interesting.

I'll make a donation to NV in a couple of weeks.

wjohnson1983

NV app is in.

I got an email stating that your name would be entered into a drawing for a $300 Cabelas card if you applied before midnight this Friday. I guess they are trying to give incentive to not bog down the server at the last minute.

AT Hiker

What's your game plan for NV? I'd really like to go on a early season mule deer hunt but dang it's a far drive. I'd have to fly in Vegas...that could be bad.

wjohnson1983

I pretty much just put in for eastmans blue chip units on the off chance I draw. This is my first year to apply in NV, so really just building points. I got the bug after that antelope hunt in WY last year, I've started building points in AZ and UT also.

I had a fiasco with the airlines coming back last time, so I'll probably always try to drive if I can on these hunts.

AT Hiker

Gotcha. Good plan, that way when your older with more money and more time you will have points. Kinda my back up plan for some of these states.

wjohnson1983

I don't know if NV is a state where you can go back and change your choices, but if you want to try and coordinate something to hunt together now or in the future let me know. I know choosing a hunting partner usually takes time to build up that trust. What is the old saying, "Take more time choosing your hunting partner than your wife."

Feel free to email me if you want to.

Latest posts