zeroing rifle question

mntbuck

This to me is ridiculas but ill admit im no expert. Good friend of mine is real gun nut. he swears to me if you move your variable scope to 9x it changes shot. he says he sights gun in on 5x at 100 yds. then moves to 9x and shoots 5 in below . both shots at 100 yds shooting from lock down bench and sandbags. any truth to this?

Model70Man

I had a POS Simmons scope that would do that. The scope was junk.

All of my other scopes hit at the same point within an inch or so if set at high power then to low power and vice versa.

BigD_625

Model70Man said:
I had a POS Simmons scope that would do that. The scope was junk.

All of my other scopes hit at the same point within an inch or so if set at high power then to low power and vice versa.

I agree. A quality scope should hit the same at both. The difference is in the shooter. You can aim more precisely on 9x than on 5x. That would likely make the shooter more accurate on 9x.

mike243

W.Seay said:
I had a Nikon monarch several years ago that would change, I'll never own the AO again.
I have a swift AO scope & its a pain to adjust the AO in a hunting situation,I think for me its a target scope & has no buisness in the field for my use.The scope should hit the same on any power ,1 way is to shoot the gun close enuf that the target can be seen clearly on the lower settings,100y is way too much,try 20y

mntbuck

thankyou, i agree totally. me personally have never had that problem. my friend completly believes thats the way it is.

BigD_625

mntbuck said:
thankyou, i agree totally. me personally have never had that problem. my friend completly believes thats the way it is.

If he's like my friends, might as well let him believe it. When it costs him a deer that's a good ways out, he'll change his mind and turn it up on the next one.

mntbuck

the scope was a meopta. 500 $ scope, he called and they told him should never shoot different and is sending him new scope. thanks for helping me convince him.

BigD_625

Rackseeker said:
Should not change point of impact. But I always set scopes on the highest power.

I do this, too. I have to lower it at 50 to see the reticle. Once I get out to 100, I crank it all the way up. I figure it's MY best chance at accuracy.

ROVERBOY

The higher dollar scopes usually won't do this. But the lower priced scopes are bad for a lot of things. I've always heard its a lot harder to make a cheap variable than a cheap fixed power scope. More parts to someday screw up. I really don't recommend buying cheap scopes. But, I have bought a few cheap 4x scopes. They will a lot of times be ok.

Latest posts