youth rifle

tickweed

Not wanting to break the bank, I need your opinions on a couple of youth guns. My two girls, age 9 and 7, both small framed, have shot their 22 crickets all summer. Both took deer on the youth hunt last week end with my encore 243, how ever the LOP is way to long, and they have to put it under their arm. I thought about buying another stock, cutting it down, but really dont care about changing it back and forth since I hunt with it myself. What about the Rossie combo kits, 243, 22lr, 20 ga, or the HR youth handi rifle in the compact model. Also, I've given thought to the 223 in either of these due to lack of recoil, but dont know how effective this would be on deer. As they grow I'll let them move up to the encore. Any thoughts. Thanks

Gravey

eightpointer said:
H & R Handi Rifle in 243 is the ticket. Not too expensive and very accurate.
What he said. My son is 8 and shoots one but its the fullsize gun and not the youth model. He killed his first deer with it last year. Its a little big and I mentioned selling it and getting a youth model but he said no. My nephew has the youth version and killed a couple of deeer. Both are accurate.

knightrider

DONT buy the rossi, some are ok most will not group, the h&r are fairly good guns, my son uses a mossberg atr 243 youth model and it shoots better than i can at 100 yards, it came with three different buttpads to adjust the lop and a 20in fluted and floated barrel and the crown looks really nice to be a cheaper gun

jakeway

I got a Ruger M77 Compact in 243 (the smallest caliber I'd use for deer) used for $300 with scope. If you can't wait for a good deal on a used one, get an H&R.

knightrider

jakeway said:
I got a Ruger M77 Compact in 243 (the smallest caliber I'd use for deer) used for $300 with scope. If you can't wait for a good deal on a used one, get an H&R.
you better grab this one if you are serious about getting another, thats a heck of a deal

meat hunter

Asaltwpn1 said:
I have an H&R Handi 243 with scope for $200 if interested.

This is a very good deal right here. Handi rifles are heavy enought that the .243 won't recoil much.

jakeway

Sorry for the confusion on my earlier post. I said I GOT one, meaning I was able to find one and purchase it. No way am I going to sell it. My grandaughter killed two deer with it, my son killed a deer with it, and I killed two deer and a coyote with it, in just two seasons.

Keep looking and you'll find a deal.

REM7

eightpointer said:
H & R Handi Rifle in 243 is the ticket. Not too expensive and very accurate.

My son is 5.5 and has the same gun. 80gr core-lokts...and its a nail driver with his Redfield 3x9x40. That scope has 4 1/4 inch eye relief

Latest posts