Yellow perch question

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
As for stocking, the bigger question is how successful biologists could be at raising them in hatcheries? I'm told by my biologist friends that walleye are fairly easy to rear and raise in a hatchery environment. However for some reason, their close cousins, sauger, are extremely difficult to raise in a hatchery environment. I have no idea how hard yellow perch are to raise, but I do find several sources online where you can buy them for stocking, so apparently it's possible. However, in my Googling I also found this on a couple of fish management web pages: "Being a very prolific fish with few spawning substrate requirements, perch can cause serious stunting problems in nearly any lake or pond."

I cannot let this old, but resurrected thread pass by, however, without pointing out that my guide partner, Capt. Scott Lillie, SLAYS huge yellow perch when fishing Chilhowee Reservoir in the mountains of East Tennessee. See: for just one example.

To book a trip call me. :)

Probably gonna have to do that one

cbhunter

As for stocking, the bigger question is how successful biologists could be at raising them in hatcheries? I'm told by my biologist friends that walleye are fairly easy to rear and raise in a hatchery environment. However for some reason, their close cousins, sauger, are extremely difficult to raise in a hatchery environment. I have no idea how hard yellow perch are to raise, but I do find several sources online where you can buy them for stocking, so apparently it's possible. However, in my Googling I also found this on a couple of fish management web pages: "Being a very prolific fish with few spawning substrate requirements, perch can cause serious stunting problems in nearly any lake or pond."

I cannot let this old, but resurrected thread pass by, however, without pointing out that my guide partner, Capt. Scott Lillie, SLAYS huge yellow perch when fishing Chilhowee Reservoir in the mountains of East Tennessee. See: for just one example.

To book a trip call me. :)

Am I the only one that don't see a pic?

nashvillefishingguides

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211218-141537_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211218-141537_Chrome.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 39

brassmagnet

Are you sure you weren't catching yellow bass?
Those are prevalent in this area (Nashville) but I've never heard of a "perch" coming out of Percy Priest or Cumberland river.
We catch (keep and eat) yellow bass all the time and lots of them, never caught a perch here.
I stand corrected, it's been a while. We caught a bunch and they were fine eating.

CATCHDAWG

Better catch them now, starting March 1st, there will be a 15 fish limit on Perch on Chilhowee.
Chilhowee lake is in Blount county. Parksville lake is in Polk county where they are also implementing a 15 fish creel limit. Neither of which is the "honey hole". That being said, I wish they would do the same for the other place instead of people taking out a hundred fish a day.

WTM

Which creeks are there none in on KY lake?

So I don't waste my time fishing there of course…
if i was fishing the north side, probably none around lost creek or the next creek south. i probably wouldnt drag a drop shot or spreader rig either. nor would i bait it with pinched crawlers, pinched minnows or baby shrimp. fish the mouth of the creeks early morning for jack salmon then when the sun gets high move to the back of the creeks and fish for yellow bellies in 3-6 ft of water.

Latest posts