Yanahli hunters?

BigD_625

I drove a hundred miles over Yanahli and part of Lewis County, and found very few places without a crowd. Good luck. Don't be afraid to park with others in areas where the only way in to several acres is crowded.

BigD_625

I went to Sharp Ln. There was 2 trucks there at 12:30pm on a Tuesday afternoon. I didn't try the southern part of Yanahli on the other side of the interstate. The most vehicles I saw were on Clifford Craig rd, iron bridge rd, and Rock Springs Cemetery Rd.

catman529

I had no crowd whatsoever on opening morning or last Sunday either in two different spots. I wouldn't say where they are on a public forum though, especially since I saw multiple deer on each trip. When you find a good spot, keep it to yourself and your close buddies.

ImThere

KnoxvilleHunter said:
anyone hunting robert truelove road or cheeks bend road, planning a trip out there this weekend.
Robert trulove got absolutely hammered during ml i saw 12 deer taken in one morning there at the deer camp several does and 4 pts One real nice 10 pt Cheeks bend always gets hammered hard its easy to drive out and sit down close to the truck

ImThere

BigD_625 said:
I went to Sharp Ln. There was 2 trucks there at 12:30pm on a Tuesday afternoon. I didn't try the southern part of Yanahli on the other side of the interstate. The most vehicles I saw were on Clifford Craig rd, iron bridge rd, and Rock Springs Cemetery Rd.
Last time i was on iron bridge rd it was bumper to bumper lol people see trucks and park i guess they figure gotta be deer here if this guys hunting
Clifford craig rd always seems packed and i always see people dragging deer out

ImThere

KnoxvilleHunter said:
any other areas, planning on doing some hunting/scouting on Saturday morning looking at Google earth blue springs road and moore lane look promising
Yep getting warm now so will the thousands that google it!

BigD_625

KnoxvilleHunter said:
any other areas, planning on doing some hunting/scouting on Saturday morning looking at Google earth blue springs road and moore lane look promising

They must look good to everyone. I forgot to mention that everywhere on Moore Ln or Blue Springs Rd. that you might be able to see 50ft, there was a truck.

catman529

Don't go to the first places that look promising on google earth. Go to the small pockets of land and harder to access areas, or random areas you wouldn't think of going as long as there is some type of deer habitat (and deer sign when you scout) in the area.

catman529

I'd be there right now if it weren't for my Williamsport draw hunt. Well I better get outta the truck and take the climber down into the holler.

Scioto

Knox, this is my first deer season in TN having moved here @ 8 months ago. Been to Yanahli several times now. Listen to ImThere and catman.

I'm blessed to have wife and young children and a job that requires me to work longer hours than I want to during deer season. Family and job complicate my ability to get afield. I hunted Yanahli opening day of muzzleloader and had the woods to myself. Heard lots of shooting but didn't see anyone that morning. Didn't see any deer either, but lots of turkeys. I hiked as far in as I could that morning (and later realized that about 100 yards of that hike was on someone's private land). I think catman has previously posted a satellite of Yanahli which is very helpful because the place is cut up and its borders can be confusing. I drove around about 1pm as I had to get back home, but I saw very few trucks parked around the area of Yanahli I was hunting.

You need to look at the map and try to figure what areas of Yanahli are the easiest to get to and get into to hunt. Then go and hunt the complete opposite of that decision.

I'm told rifle season is far busier. Last time I was out was last Wednesday afternoon and, again, I had the woods to myself. Going out tomorrow morning and I hope to again, but we'll see. Now mind you, I haven't seen any deer either so maybe that's why I'm not encountering hunters in the woods. I am hunting one of the areas that has been mentioned in this thread, however.

ImThere

It all depends on you expectations. If you coming down to kill a bunch of does somewhere other than your lease its a long drive. If you coming to kill the buck of a lifetime? Yanahli has been hunted and hunted hard. If you have no other place it will probably work out for ya. Just hunt smart and maybe send out a few pm's. hint hint

BigPete357

I have hunted Yanahli since muzzleloader season. I have not had any problem with other hunters. On days I am not hunting, I drive around to check out my spots and there has never been another vehicle within a half mile from my spots, and usually none at all. I have seen several deer while scouting and hunting. Hunting the woods, I haven't had too many clear shots. The larger bucks I have seen have made me pass on the smaller deer that have offered me a clear shot.

You have to think a little different than when hunting food plots on private land, but the deer are there and there are plenty of good ones. find a spot away from the parking areas, scout it and if it looks good, hunt it. If not go to the next spot. Sometimes you have to walk a mile, sometimes not. One of my favorite locations is less than 100 ft from where I park.

Just today I saw 2 bucks that were killed by either a vehicle or a poacher. The antlers were cut off in both cases and the deer were good size. They were not there yesterday.

Here's one I got today, and I know there is a bigger one where I got him.
2012-12-025.jpg

Latest posts