Plateau Hunters

AppalachiaVol

Looking to see whos hunting the plateau this weekend? What are we seeing out there? Also intrested if any of yall are huntings WMAs like Catoosa, BS/FS, BSF, etc. Good luck to everyone! ill be out there too

Grandslam11

I will be hunting the plateau this weekend. I will be about 4 miles from Bridgestone. According to my cameras, things are still a little slow. I expect this weather to get them on their feet though. This weekend should be good.

PickettSFHunter

I live on the plateau on a small farm backing up to BSF. I do keep a close eye on the deer at the house but they are for kids to hunt. I generally hunt the plateau rim, under the mountain as we say. I've seen some younger bucks chasing. The one I killed this morning was coming to a scrape. I suspect it will be like every year in my area and the older bucks will be on their feet more around thanksgiving. I do know of some older bucks being taken but I still think the best is yet to come. Should be a great weekend anyway.

Grandslam11

@Grandslam11 are you familiar with Bridgestone at all? I scouted it this summer and will hunt there this weekend. how many trucks should i expect to see parked there? Big bottom unit
Are you going to park there in the bottom parking lot in the big curve? If so, id say there will be several. We went down there to the falls a couple weeks back during bow and Id say there were 4-5 trucks parked there then and we didn't get there until around 10. There are some big deer in there and considering the amount of land, they aren't pressured that much. Just find you a spot way back away from everyone.

Remi

I live on the plateau on a small farm backing up to BSF. I do keep a close eye on the deer at the house but they are for kids to hunt. I generally hunt the plateau rim, under the mountain as we say. I've seen some younger bucks chasing. The one I killed this morning was coming to a scrape. I suspect it will be like every year in my area and the older bucks will be on their feet more around thanksgiving. I do know of some older bucks being taken but I still think the best is yet to come. Should be a great weekend anyway.

That's about how it is where I am as well.

Dr2kill

On my place in Cumberland County, yesterday scrapes were clear of leaves, today they are not. Saw 7 small bucks today cruising looking for does.

AppalachiaVol

saw lots of hog sign at the bottom on the other side of the big fishing hole last fall. i got a place just a few miles from scotts gulf road
I hiked alittle over 3 miles today on a brand new trail. Awesome looking spot very open and great timber. I jumped 3 does on my way in. Saw plenty of scrapes and a couple small rubs. Very little hog sign today. All the wallers I found earlier this year have dried up. I assume they have moved down closer to the river. Wish I would have known that before going up top. But a great day regardless.

AppalachiaVol

saw lots of hog sign at the bottom on the other side of the big fishing hole last fall. i got a place just a few miles from scotts gulf road
You talking about down there at big bottom bend in the road? I haven't been able to scout that area yet. How far in can you drive or do you have to park at the road there?

waterman

at the bottom on the river left side theres a large camping / parking area. old timers called it the fish hole. bee branch comes in directly across . lots of sign on the left side of bee branch along the river.

PickettSFHunter

Saw this guy slowly following 2 does, grunting, and thrashing trees this morning. It was tempting for me, I know not so tempting for many farther west but tempting for me. I just am after another once in a lifetime deer and couldn't fill my last tag knowing there's a giant around, unless it just came roaming through that one night 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_4543.mov
    14.4 MB

Remi

Saw some chasing yesterday and today, still more little guys than big guys running the ladies right now.

AppalachiaVol

Are you going to park there in the bottom parking lot in the big curve? If so, id say there will be several. We went down there to the falls a couple weeks back during bow and Id say there were 4-5 trucks parked there then and we didn't get there until around 10. There are some big deer in there and considering the amount of land, they aren't pressured that much. Just find you a spot way back away from everyone.
I had a question about the big bottom entrance. Whites cave/big bottom road entrance, right on the caney fork. Can you hunt that? It says lost creek natural area"restricted" on OnX. Making sure it's ok to hunt?

Saw this guy slowly following 2 does, grunting, and thrashing trees this morning. It was tempting for me, I know not so tempting for many farther west but tempting for me. I just am after another once in a lifetime deer and couldn't fill my last tag knowing there's a giant around, unless it just came roaming through that one night 🤷‍♂️
Man that's a good looking deer though. I've been looking to get eyes on any deer like that in these mountains. I'm down near rosedale retreat and I know there's some studs around. They don't make it easy though