Wyoming Cow Elk Hunt 37-6

AT Hiker

Has anyone ever hunted Unit 37 for Elk in Wyoming? Part of it is in deer area 25 in the Big Horn Mountains. I am hoping to get a cow tag while I am building points, I am thinking in 2013 or 2014 trying to get out there.

The Wyoming game and fish give the area a poor access rating for 37-6 (cow tag) but the general tag is not. I wonder if it is because the September hunt is strictly for the northern half of the unit, I will be hunting the October time frame, which would be any unused 37-6 tags and its open for the entire unit. I wouldn't think access would be a problem for that.

I think a little of the unit is wilderness, but I will be hunting further north so I can scout a little for deer while I am out there.

Any help would be grateful...this hunt will be solo, so if someone wants to try and tag along give me a shout. I will already have my truck out there and flights to Billings can be found for under $400 round trip.

AT Hiker

Change of plans. I decided to purchase a left over goat tag for 23, mainly because I am muley hunting later in the season north of Gillette and plan to scout some of deer unit F before I go after some goats.

AT Hiker

I might hit you up on that, 105 and 106 are my target areas, mainly i want to make sure I do not cross over into the wilderness areas...cant hunt them! Im gonna at least do a quick drive around on the lower elevations/non-forest areas, though that early Im sure most of the deer will still be in 8,000 plus feet range.

Latest posts