Food Plots WTI Imperial Clover vs. generic ladino

drrxnupe

Last year I planted a 3/4 acre plot with Imperial Clover. Because it's so expensive, I opted to plant a different plot with ladino from co-op. Both plots had comparable soil test results and both were planted mid to late Sept with oats as a cover crop. A year later, the plot with Imperial is being heavily browsed but continues to go strong. The co-op ladino plot is also being heavily browsed but it doesn't look as strong. It look as though summer is taking its toll. Weeds and grass are competing as well. I don't have a sprayer yet so I opted to just keep my plots cut for the time being.

Does anybody else find that WTI Imperial Clover is superior to generic ladino? When I plant later in Sept, is it worth it to spend the xtra cash on Imperial? I will probably go with the LC mix (http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25851) and replace ladino with Imperial in the components.

landman

I'm sure you will find many on here that feel its a waste of money

But for me, its not, I have some fields going into 6 years with
several Hot Dry Summers....

Yes I over seed it at times

Yes I no-till oats or wheat into it at times

I'm mainly planting this into hardwood ridges that have been cleared, thinner soils

And the Deer & Turkey Love it

drrxnupe

double browtine said:
I am going to try a plot of the imperial this fall. Carrying soil o get it tested this week. Then I'm going to roundup, wait 2 weeks, run the tiller box over it, and seed it after cultipacking it.

You're going to be thrilled with the results come next Spring. I'd also plant a cereal grain as a cover crop. That way you have something for 'em to eat this Fall/Winter.

Check out this meeting in my Imperial clover plot this AM.

3A5B73C9-3922-47E9-A3DE-AF739CA88FEE.jpg