Food Plots Winter wheat "cut"

cbrock84

I planted wheat in August in my food plot an now its about 6 to 8 inches tall. Deer aren't using it much anymore. Is the wheat to tall now an is it safe to mow?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I seem to remember someone saying there is some kind of acid or something that builds up in it and after it is about 6" tall they quit eating it.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I have never see a deer eating wheat.
There are 1000's of acres of wheat my area.
That's interesting.
I used to kill a lot of deer feeding in a winter wheat field.
I have a picture somewhere of one doe I killed and she still had some hanging out of her mouth when she fell. LOL

Bang/flop for sure on that one. LOL

Chaneylake

Really? For us, it has been a close second to oats as far as grains are concerned.
I don't ever remember seeing a deer in my area eating wheat.
I ask this same question this morning in local coffee shop, everyone there agreed with my observations.
Maybe they are sticking tight to the edge next to the thickets.

JCDEERMAN

I don't ever remember seeing a deer in my area eating wheat.
I ask this same question this morning in local coffee shop, everyone there agreed with my observations.
Maybe they are sticking tight to the edge next to the thickets.
It's always interesting to see what deer like and don't like in particular areas. Brassicas are what stand out to me as being this way. Some areas, the deer wear them out and other areas, they don't hardly touch them.

deerfever

I had deer using my wheat but now that acorns are falling, I am not seeing the deer like I was. Late season hopefully the deer will return .

Mr. Hawk

They are hitting my plot that has wheat in it pretty hard. I also have clover, turnips, radishes and oats so not sure what they are eating

Attachments

• 8E10520B-DB0C-4807-9B17-EE99350BC41C.jpeg
    8E10520B-DB0C-4807-9B17-EE99350BC41C.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 88

wildlifefarmer

Watching from afar, a field of crimson clover mixed with half the field rye the other side of the field oats deer will graze the oats side 9 out of 10 times. They walk right past and thru the rye to get to the oats side. Go figure?! They do the same with wheat.

BSK

Watching from afar, a field of crimson clover mixed with half the field rye the other side of the field oats deer will graze the oats side 9 out of 10 times. They walk right past and thru the rye to get to the oats side. Go figure?! They do the same with wheat.
I've found, in the hilly ridge-top-soils where I do most of my research, the cereal grain preference is #1 oats, #2 wheat, #3 rye. Unfortunately, the productivity of those soils is the exact opposite. Rye is the easiest to grow, followed by wheat, with oats being a distant third.

Latest posts