Wind keeping water from freezing ?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
My son and I have talked about this alot.
With the predicted temps coupled with very high winds.
If it was gonna be in the 20's I think the wind might keep the water from freezing, but near zero I just don't think there is any way the water won't freeze up.
We are talking knee deep or shallower.
What say ye?

GUNNERX2

Wind will keep the water moving which will make it harder to freeze but with the predicted temperatures, it's gonna get got. Protected areas will freeze quicker and thicker and will take longer to thaw. Areas not protected will not be as thick and thaw quicker. Kinda depends on what gets more wind and what gets less wind.

prstide

Wind will keep the water moving which will make it harder to freeze but with the predicted temperatures, it's gonna get got. Protected areas will freeze quicker and thicker and will take longer to thaw. Areas not protected will not be as thick and thaw quicker. Kinda depends on what gets more wind and what gets less wind.
This is my experience as well. It's definitely freezing though!

BSK

Air moving across the water will draw heat out of the surface water, meaning it will cool towards freezing faster. However, any wave action will reduce ice formation.

JhnDeereMan

2-Step Enabled
I needed a new cord for one of my ice eaters so I went to Cromwell KY yesterday to Mallard View Outdoors. Those guys said they had been selling the ice eaters like crazy this past week. They said once guy bought an entire pallet of ice eaters.

Duck hunters are definitely a different breed when it comes to being mad at what they hunt.

tickweed

I needed a new cord for one of my ice eaters so I went to Cromwell KY yesterday to Mallard View Outdoors. Those guys said they had been selling the ice eaters like crazy this past week. They said once guy bought an entire pallet of ice eaters.

Duck hunters are definitely a different breed when it comes to being mad at what they hunt.
Amen. Its not being so much mad, just mentally unstable.

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
It's going to lock up, and fast. Those shallow fields don't take much to freeze over, and wind doesn't matter when it stays cold. Looking at the weather, I don't think it will be open until midday Thursday Now wind will open it up fast when it begins to melt , don't get caught out in it when it breaks loose
7F903D44-9204-4286-8AEB-A7A098AE3BD7.jpeg

WilcoKen

It's going to lock up, and fast. Those shallow fields don't take much to freeze over, and wind doesn't matter when it stays cold. Looking at the weather, I don't think it will be open until midday Thursday Now wind will open it up fast when it begins to melt , don't get caught out in it when it breaks loose View attachment 161224
Yes when it breaks loose it is a wild scene. Had that happen last season in Missouri. The whole field of ice was being pushed by the wind when I went to pick up a duck. If you stopped walking with the flow it would push you over. 50 acres of ice moving has alot of force. I had my buddy call his dog back. It would have probably killed her.

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
Yep. We had an 200 acre field break loose. I was trying to save some mojo's and got knocked down. Luckily I was able to get back up. I did save the mojo's, but let the ice take the rest of the decoys.

TimberMan

Yep. We had an 200 acre field break loose. I was trying to save some mojo's and got knocked down. Luckily I was able to get back up. I did save the mojo's, but let the ice take the rest of the decoys.
Yep, I've seen huge chunks of ice break loose on reelfoot and take to floating off. How it didn't rip blinds down I have no idea.

CBU93

By the way, ice eaters are not as effective as one might think in shallow water. They have to have warm water from below the ice surface to draw from.

686A9A90-7757-4313-86F1-DE94FEAE25DA.jpeg

This was from the cold spell a few years ago. Not much of a hole. And the generator running the ice water will need to be maintained through the nights and days to keep the hole open.

Ducks won't fly after it locks up. They will move on or sit on what open water they are keeping open for a while. Best hunting will be as it freezes, not after it is locked…the thaw can be really good tho in my experience.

Latest posts