Gooch water?

Timber96

Went and scouted a few days ago. Water at the ramp is foot and half deep and pretty much stayed that way. We turned around between hole 3 and 4. Water is so low you could almost ground blind hunt in some of the holes.
Were you using a surface drive or an outboard?

Mike_D.

Were you using a surface drive or an outboard?
We had an outboard, but we had to keep it trimmed all the way up and just idled along and even had to use a push pole at times. Surface drive you're fine, especially in the channel. But, we did turn around between hole 3 and 4. Some folks we talked to said water there hadn't been as low as it was since the last time they drained it... whenever that was.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
We had an outboard, but we had to keep it trimmed all the way up and just idled along and even had to use a push pole at times. Surface drive you're fine, especially in the channel. But, we did turn around between hole 3 and 4. Some folks we talked to said water there hadn't been as low as it was since the last time they drained it... whenever that was.
I'm assuming they quit pumping, or HAD to quit pumping due to low water in the Obion?

West_Tn

According to TWRA's post the water level at site E1 and 2 is only 2-3" and all the rest of the sites require a mud motor to get to.

West_Tn

Post where?
They posted the link of their Facebook page. Also disabled comments on that post 😂

I think it is funny that they list Camden 133 as having low water, and they were told by locals at the Commission meeting that if they moved 133 to this new spot it would not be huntable for part of the season and battle low water a lot. They told the local he didn't know what he was talking about and moved it anyway. 133 has sucked ever since.

Link below

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
They posted the link of their Facebook page. Also disabled comments on that post 😂

I think it is funny that they list Camden 133 as having low water, and they were told by locals at the Commission meeting that if they moved 133 to this new spot it would not be huntable for part of the season and battle low water a lot. They told the local he didn't know what he was talking about and moved it anyway. 133 has sucked ever since.

Link below

Nothing surprises me about them anymore.
They for sure don't wanna hear anything but praise.
Sickening really.
They are doing a great job though, if you don't believe it, just ask them.

Mike_D.

This was the water two weeks ago in Unit E. You can see the narrow channel and how much the water is down. We are considering swamp stools and waders for our hunt there this year. I'm not sure what would be the best wat to hunt it this year.

Attachments

• Gooch.jpg
    Gooch.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Gooch1.jpg
    Gooch1.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 101

West_Tn

This was the water two weeks ago in Unit E. You can see the narrow channel and how much the water is down. We are considering swamp stools and waders for our hunt there this year. I'm not sure what would be the best wat to hunt it this year.
Even with low water I'm not sure if it's possible with how far you sink in the mud. It may not be like that all over the bottom, but the sites I've hunted were.

Mike_D.

Even with low water I'm not sure if it's possible with how far you sink in the mud. It may not be like that all over the bottom, but the sites I've hunted were.
That's true, and when we were there I stuck the paddle in the mud to test it and it was a very soft bottom. I'm not sure what we will end up doing, but we are going to give it a shot and see.

Mike_D.

I hunted site 9 in 2018. Having a boat blind is a plus. You can wade it, but be careful lol.
We want to use the boat blind for sure. I hunted 7 a few years back and the water level was normal and it seemed like the water was more than 5 or 6 feet deep if I remember correctly, but i could be wrong. We have site 2 this year and I've never hunted it, but it seemed very shallow. Biggest problem is tripping over all the lily pad roots!

UT-longbeard

We want to use the boat blind for sure. I hunted 7 a few years back and the water level was normal and it seemed like the water was more than 5 or 6 feet deep if I remember correctly, but i could be wrong. We have site 2 this year and I've never hunted it, but it seemed very shallow. Biggest problem is tripping over all the lily pad roots!
Around 9 was the same. Close to the trees you were good, but walking around was pretty tough. Lillypads and stumps would have you baby stepping lol. That's a pretty bottom to hunt when the birds are there.

Mike_D.

Gonna be lots of folks show up with a loaded down 1754 with a 50 HP outboard that are in for a rude awakening with the current status of the boat roads. An inch of rain later this week may bring it up a couple inches.

View attachment 157395View attachment 157396View attachment 157397
You ain't kiddin'. Someone had told me there is a creek that feeds Unit E off the Obion and if the Obion would get up enough to flood that creek, it dumps into there and fills it pretty quick. Not sure how true this is, but even then, the extended forecast isn't looking good for that possibility.

West_Tn

You ain't kiddin'. Someone had told me there is a creek that feeds Unit E off the Obion and if the Obion would get up enough to flood that creek, it dumps into there and fills it pretty quick. Not sure how true this is, but even then, the extended forecast isn't looking good for that possibility.
Did you get 2 for the opener? I'm jealous.

Latest posts