Will SEC football go to 9 conference games?

PalsPal

Marvin isn't sure which way it will go, but writes a great article about the various factors.

I did like this though 😁:

Godfather Nick Saban, at the beginning of schedule talks, was a nine-game advocate. When he saw his tentative three permanent foes – Auburn, LSU and Tennessee – he switched. He thought that trio was an unfair overload, that he might even lose an occasional game.

https://www.knoxtntoday.com/how-strange-sec-schools-reluctant-to-play-each-other/

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
Marvin isn't sure which way it will go, but writes a great article about the various factors.

I did like this though 😁:

Godfather Nick Saban, at the beginning of schedule talks, was a nine-game advocate. When he saw his tentative three permanent foes – Auburn, LSU and Tennessee – he switched. He thought that trio was an unfair overload, that he might even lose an occasional game.

https://www.knoxtntoday.com/how-strange-sec-schools-reluctant-to-play-each-other/
But he's played against all 3 every year since he landed at buba U

Bamamonts

I like the idea of playing more conference games.
I don't like nobody schools.
Having those 3 as permanent opponents is probably one of the toughest slates in general but that can change every year. I wish they would drop LSU for Mississippi State. I don't consider LSU a rivalry. I don't really consider Miss St as a rival either but the Universities are close together.
I don't want to lose the Iron Bowl or Third Saturday in October.
Bama has been playing those three schools since I can remember and they win more times than they lose.

THEdonkey0515

I think they are having meetings this week on the subject? From what I understand they are down to two possible formats.

3-6-3 format 3 permanent sec opponents, 6 other SEC opponents that will rotate for a total of nine SEC games. With 3 non conference games. This is the one that makes the most since. They will no longer be a east and west conference best records go to the SEC chip game. The biggest problem some have with this is teams like Florida would no longer be playing FSU every year. And KY Louisville ect.... your already playing 9 hard SEC games your not gonna make a cupcake game FSU.

The other format was like a 1-7-4 format. One permanent sec opponent with 7 rotating SEC opponents for a total of 8 SEC games. With 4 non conference games. I just don't see how this works.

SC Manimal

If it's 1 team it should always start with in-state rivalries. After that pair up by proximity, UKvsUSC, UFvsUGA. As a fan though that would suck. It's as much fun to hate your permanent opponents as to love your team. Vandy is too awful to hate that much.

PalsPal

This will be interesting.

The conference will eliminate divisions and send the top two teams in the 16-team standings to the SEC Championship in 2024

Might be better as far as the playoffs to not be in the SEC champ game.