Who has a pellet smoker/grill

Coldfusion

I started a thread on the kamado, but now I'm leaning towards a pellet grill. The camp chef SG with the side sear box to be exact. I debated on traeger and GMG but camp chef seems to include more for the money. Seems like to get good smoke flavor you need to use 100% wood pellets and some add a smoke tube also. What say y'all?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mike243

I have a pit boss austin LX and love it smoke profile is liter than a stick burner but wife has issues with heavy smoke, works very well and repeatable cooking, a smoke tube can be added for more smoke but set on smoke setting which is 160-180 or so for a few hrs adds plenty for me. Give chicken 30 minutes of smoke then crank to 350 gives a crispy skin

Jacoprint

I have the Green Mountain and have had it for about 6 years. I love the ease of using it. Use for smoking and also crank it up to 500 for cooking steaks.
While it is much better that gas it still doesn't get the bark on butts and heavy smoke for other things like stick cookers. I've tried several different cooking pellets and seem to like the Oak ones the best. It works fine though, because my wife too, doesn't like a heavy some flavor.
It is my go to grill for all around cooking and I would replace it in a minute.

Coldfusion

Seems like everyone who buys one loves it. It is pricey though. With all the toys included I want I'm looking at $1000.00. Which is a lot on a grill to me. Another thing about camp chef is their customer service is apparently outstanding. I really like their sear box for reverse searing and quick cooks if I don't want to wait on the pellet side one night.

mike243

I have a plate that slides over and have direct fire to sear a steak after giving it a little smoke works very well

chunkandwind

I have a Rec Tec Bull and love it. Haven't used the stick smoker in almost a year but don't do competitions any longer either.

You will love a pellet smoker/grill.

Coldfusion

chunkandwind":3e8dt791 said:
I have a Rec Tec Bull and love it. Haven't used the stick smoker in almost a year but don't do competitions any longer either.

Being experienced with a stick burner how does the smoke flavor compare? Do you add a smoke tube ever or does the smoker give off enough alone?

huntintn

You'll get plenty of smoke flavor from the pellet smoker.
Coldfusion":2lelrg4c said:
chunkandwind":2lelrg4c said:

Being experienced with a stick burner how does the smoke flavor compare? Do you add a smoke tube ever or does the smoker give off enough alone?

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

chunkandwind

The pellet smoker, imo, is a milder smoke flavor. It's different than wood but still really good.
If you're a purist which I used to be you might not like it and I didn't at first but like I said the stick
smoker hasn't been used in a while. If I still cooked for money, I would use wood. At home the pellets
are just so easy and still produce a fine product.

Ed B

I have an old small traeger that gets used weekly, getting a rec tec this fall though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David

I have a pellet smoker and also a Vision Kamado. Ill tell you what I like about both.

Pellet smoker: Plug it in, set the temp and forget it. Very easy to use. and cooks well. I have a "Grilla" made by grilla grills and have been very happy with it and how its held up.

The Kamado: have to say I love it as well. I didn't want to spend 1k on a BGE, but got this one on sale for like 399 and have had zero issues. What I like about it.. If I want to crank it up to 550-600 and sear a steak, no problem. You cant get a good high temp sear on a pellet imo.

Knowing what I know now, if I had it to do over again, id get the kamado if I could only have one on my deck.

Coldfusion

David":3p4u4pgv said:
I have a pellet smoker and also a Vision Kamado. Ill tell you what I like about both.

Pellet smoker: Plug it in, set the temp and forget it. Very easy to use. and cooks well. I have a "Grilla" made by grilla grills and have been very happy with it and how its held up.

The Kamado: have to say I love it as well. I didn't want to spend 1k on a BGE, but got this one on sale for like 399 and have had zero issues. What I like about it.. If I want to crank it up to 550-600 and sear a steak, no problem. You cant get a good high temp sear on a pellet imo.

Knowing what I know now, if I had it to do over again, id get the kamado if I could only have one on my deck.
Good insight. I like the kamado, but the main draw for the pellet grill for me is the " set and forget" part. I have a WSM now and quickly learned I don't enjoy tending the coals and fire. I get frustrated when it acts up. It's just not my cup of tea. So something like the Pellet grill is awesome for me and my lifestyle. I would entertain a kamado in the future maybe but it's not a priority right now. I'm leaning towards a rec tec. I considered Grilla Grills also. I like the idea of the Grilla but it looks small. And total space is over 100 SQ inch smaller than the silverbac, but honestly it probably had enough room for whatever I need to do 99% of the time.

Coldfusion

Ed B":1vyea4g5 said:
I have an old small traeger that gets used weekly, getting a rec tec this fall though.

Which rec tec. I'm strongly leaning towards the 700. I liked the stampede but for a fee hundred more you get a much heavier built grill and better warranty with the 700. And one guy on the owner facebook said he just bought the stampede and reccomends if you can afford the Bull then go ahead and get it. I'm pretty much between the Rec Tec bull, Grilla Grills (grilla or silverbac undecided), and still contemplate GMG DB too. My main things for Rec Tec is it seems to be the only company I don't find negative stuff. I know you will always find someone to say bad stuff about anything, but overall you don't see comments like "I got rid of my rec tec and got a ...". If I'm spending $7-800, then I might as well spend $1200 and get something that will last 10-15 years easily with care.

Ed B

Coldfusion":3n0b56id said:
Ed B":3n0b56id said:

Which rec tec. I'm strongly leaning towards the 700. I liked the stampede but for a fee hundred more you get a much heavier built grill and better warranty with the 700. And one guy on the owner facebook said he just bought the stampede and reccomends if you can afford the Bull then go ahead and get it. I'm pretty much between the Rec Tec bull, Grilla Grills (grilla or silverbac undecided), and still contemplate GMG DB too. My main things for Rec Tec is it seems to be the only company I don't find negative stuff. I know you will always find someone to say bad stuff about anything, but overall you don't see comments like "I got rid of my rec tec and got a ...". If I'm spending $7-800, then I might as well spend $1200 and get something that will last 10-15 years easily with care.

I'm looking at the 590, I have no need for the 700. One of my buddies has the original rectec when there was only one model, I think it's now considered the bull (700). We are a family of three, we just don't need all that space. I've grilled/smoked on a traeger junior for over five years with no issue on grill size except for a handful of times, the 590 is overkill for us but I'm looking forward to it. I haven't ordered it yet so I'm always open to a better option and I'm in the same boat, if I need to be looking at something else for a little more $ then please let me know.

If you really want to spend some money look at the Memphis pellet grills, my uncle has one and they are super nice. That being said, the controls don't appear any nicer then the rectec's.

chunkandwind

TN Song Dog":3qrfts3s said:
Anyone have insight or feedback on Holland pellet grills? I always knew them to have a good reputation for gas grills.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have used the prototype and it works very well. My buddy designed it. He is the KC in it's name.
Holland is still the only gas grill I will own. Can't be beat for the money.

huntintn

This is what I smoke with.
a25df0f2ef1c892040c2684dc52eae57.jpg

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk