Pellet choice?

cbhunter

1700622821023.gif

1700622839148.gif

Pellets

mike243

I like hickory, I prefer 100% hickory and most of the pellet wording is suspect, Kingsford is really good as is Lumber Jack, rural king carry's LJ and Lowes carry's the Kingsford, I get good smoke at a little higher temp with the Kingsford, not sure why but it costs more. I get more milage from pellets than I do my charcoal smoker due to the cost these days. Spritzing once in awhile will help you get more smoke flavor. a pellet tube stuffed with shag bark and pellets also helps a lot. About $22 at walmart.

cbhunter

For whatever reason I always grabbed the pit boss competition blend at Walmart. Not sure I've bought any others but need to.

It says it's good for a variety of meats so I guess that's why I grabbed them each time

Looks like me and Jcalder mentioned them at same time 🤣

Mtncur76

Like others have said it depends on the meat and how much smoke flavor you won't to much and gets a bitter taste to me anyway I like a lighter smoke flavor like pecan or mesquite for chicken/turkey and 50/50 mix of hickery/ mesquite for everything else

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I like the competition blend ok for things that are "short smokes" or seers, but my preference has been just to buy the hickory for everything now. My preference on brand is actually the Bear Mountain brand that TSC and Academy carry

Latest posts