Who does conversions?

jlanecr500

If your in east TN, check out Shultz precision gunsmithing. As far I know, he'll build whatever and it'll be a killer when he's done with it.
Give JR a call. He is in Sevierville, TN
At one time, he was doing all of the single shot conversions for Hankins.

I enjoy gunsmithing but due to liability concerns, only build my own guns. It doesn't matter how beefy you build one, it can still be double charged or double loaded with catastrophic results.

philsanchez76

They can go from budget friendly builds that shoot great to say 300 yards which is just a base yardage. They can be be wildly expensive that shoot lights out at 800-1000 yards. For my needs and budget I went with Hankins. I found a CVA Scout V2 in 45-70 stainless with a muzzle brake on it already and just sent the barrel off to Hankins. I'll say the price of a NEW CVA scout v2 45-70 and for him to do the work on the barrel was ballpark range of about $900-$1000.
This is what I did too. About $400 for the gun at Academy and $500 for the barrel conversion and an adjustable sizing die. Gun shoots amazing. Hankins had my barrel back within 10 days.

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
Hankins

Possibly arrowhead

Gary bush might, mt productions

Jeff fisk might, last I seen he got picky on his builds (bestill)

Get on Doug's message boards and ask

Centerpunchusa did my scout. Work was great. Communication was not
Hollis at centerpunch built my smokeless and it is a shooter for sure. There is also a guy up in lafayette that builds some nice ones. I know a couple guys with guns built by him. Wish I could remember his name.

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
Jeff Fisk (bestill creations custom muzzleloaders) did the last few for me, but I had to really negotiate and press forward for the last one (2020). I think he worked me in due to me being a repeat customer, as well as a random texting buddy, but I am not sure I could get in today. Those guys have ran off and left me in the dust, building match shooting 15# custom bolt action SML for use in 600+ yard matches. My SML and my needs (accurate, lightweight, nimble, deer hunting) are like child's play to them. I say this to help others manage their expectations when talking to them. Best of luck, keep us posted on your journey as we could all likely learn something from it.
Last I remember seeing Jeff talk he was saying he was only gonna build really special builds and I think he only built on the omega platform?

Luckyone

Ive been smokeless for a couple decades and finally got my brother on board. He asked me today who does safe, reliable, accurate conversions. I do not know, as I have always went the Savage route.
Any and all info is greatly appreciated!
Im a little late to reply here but my go to guy is J.R.Schultz at Schultz Precision Rifles in Seymour TN. he builds everything. He did a CVA conversion for me and a 700 conversion. Haven't had any time with the CVA but the bolt gun is more accurate than any center fire I own. He build center fires too. A really good guy to work with.

squirrel_hunter

I looked at this one. It was 1250.00. I think the 45/70 was 900.00. I bought CVA Optima V2 50 LR nitride rifle last yr. Could i send my muzzle loader in have it done?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220820-215325_Chrome~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20220820-215325_Chrome~2.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 29

squirrel_hunter

This mite not be a bad idea. Do away with 209. Use large rifle primers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220820-220653_Chrome~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20220820-220653_Chrome~2.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 33

squirrel_hunter

I like idea going lrp get away from 209. I have a bunch of lrp. I dont reload alot of rifle ammo. I am usally squirrel hunting or trapping. But i like ML season.

Last edited:

Latest posts