Who builds rifles?

Snowwolfe

I seen a couple of posts about a gent named Tim that built nice rifles. How do I contact him?

Any other good smiths inside our state that do excellent work?

I am considering building a Remington lefty short stainless action and having a lightweight tube screwed on and bedded in a light weight McMillan stock.

DaveB

Yep, that would be the one.

I think a few years back he shot a fairly small 600 yard group. I think it was .98 inch for an MOA of something like nothing.

Cannot go wrong.

Attachments

• tclaunch02x600.jpg
    tclaunch02x600.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 2,599

markwondi

2-Step Enabled
Tim will be an excellent choice, although I don't believe he will bed the action (correct me if I'm wrong).

I can vouch for Vestals Custom in Bristol, VA - they build excellent shooting rifles.

TiminTN

Snowwolfe":gglp4edz said:
I seen a couple of posts about a gent named Tim that built nice rifles. How do I contact him?

Any other good smiths inside our state that do excellent work?

I am considering building a Remington lefty short stainless action and having a lightweight tube screwed on and bedded in a light weight McMillan stock.

I appreciate your interest, I bought my lathe to do my personal projects, and am not looking to offer work to the public yet. If I were you I would contact Greg Young of Southern Precision. I have sent him an action or 2 for truing and he does an outstanding job. I also shoot against a 6BR he chambered, and its a tough day to face that rifle. There is also a new gunsmith here goes by Tresmon I believe looking at his list of offerings would also be a good choice, thanks.

TiminTN

markwondi":2yn7e0a9 said:
Tim will be an excellent choice, although I don't believe he will bed the action (correct me if I'm wrong).

I can vouch for Vestals Custom in Bristol, VA - they build excellent shooting rifles.

Jim Borden taught me how to bed rifles, back in 1991 while he was still part time smith and engineer at Proctor & Gamble. He had a back plunger dial indicator drop shipped to my home so I could check bedding. My oldest son remembers saving me his popsicle sticks that I used to dig out the Devcon Putty, and still use those to this day....lol

vonb

I've gone the custom route and the 'nut route. Anymore, I'll just buy the custom Rem action of my choosing and screw a Criterion barrel w/ nut on it and bed it.

wiles

markwondi":2qhktan6 said:

X2 for Vestals.....just don't be in a hurry, I've been patiently waiting just over a year now for some work I needed done to one of my rifles.

markwondi

2-Step Enabled
wiles":2tp8gwgj said:
markwondi":2tp8gwgj said:

X2 for Vestals.....just don't be in a hurry, I've been patiently waiting just over a year now for some work I needed done to one of my rifles.
What are you having them do? I've never waited more than 3-4 months for any build from them.

tndave59

I spoke with TresMon today, others on here speak highly of him. I'm planning on having him do some work for me very soon, he was very quick at calling me back and was very knowledgeable and willing to work with me.

Tiny

tndave59":2bsysqck said:
I spoke with TresMon today, others on here speak highly of him. I'm planning on having him do some work for me very soon, he was very quick at calling me back and was very knowledgeable and willing to work with me.

I Have heard nothing but good there as well.

Seen some good looking work facebook n heard nothing but good on this guy as well
Shultz Precision Machine..

puppy

I second Shultz Precision Machine, I am dropping off a barrel tomorrow for a brake install on my daughters rifle. He builds some tack driver CF rifles as well as SML, you can look at some of his post on FB if you are on there.

wiles

markwondi":3dt3k45t said:
wiles":3dt3k45t said:
markwondi":3dt3k45t said:

What are you having them do? I've never waited more than 3-4 months for any build from them.

Re-barrel a model seven 7mm08 and bed into a Brown Precision stock. They ordered the barrel and I provided the stock.

hittingsteal

TiminTN":cn57icp6 said:
markwondi":cn57icp6 said:

Jim Borden taught me how to bed rifles, back in 1991 while he was still part time smith and engineer at Proctor & Gamble. He had a back plunger dial indicator drop shipped to my home so I could check bedding. My oldest son remembers saving me his popsicle sticks that I used to dig out the Devcon Putty, and still use those to this day....lol
That's what my son saves me tim, they work great lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk