Where are the deer?

JCDEERMAN

Strange thing is, even with a monster acorn crop, does and fawns are in my food plots daily. Really surprised by that.
I'm seeing the same thing. Monster acorn crop, though every camera I had over fields had deer in them every morning and every evening - every day! I hunted for the first time Saturday evening and watched 2 does and 2 fawns munch away in a newly created plot. That was very gratifying to see, but on the other hand, I want the stuff to grow!

Bone Collector

I'm seeing the same thing. Monster acorn crop, though every camera I had over fields had deer in them every morning and every evening - every day! I hunted for the first time Saturday evening and watched 2 does and 2 fawns munch away in a newly created plot. That was very gratifying to see, but on the other hand, I want the stuff to grow!
I noticed that too on my property. I put in a small plot and they are in it daily. The one pic i have gotten of a decent buck was in the plot at night. That being said, Not as many acorns out there. I noticed a lot of the trees didn't seem to produce. That has been my observation on public as well. Some areas its raining acorns. Others, trees appear to be baron.

BSK

I noticed that too on my property. I put in a small plot and they are in it daily. The one pic i have gotten of a decent buck was in the plot at night. That being said, Not as many acorns out there. I noticed a lot of the trees didn't seem to produce. That has been my observation on public as well. Some areas its raining acorns. Others, trees appear to be baron.
What I'm seeing is a tree or two every 50 yards absolutely dumped acorns. Ground completely covered underneath. But still 50+ yard gap between producing trees. Drive down a dirt road and there's a long gap of nothing, then the ground absolutely covered.

catman529

On my place they are eating on the acorns and the micro food plot both. The micro plot is just winter wheat but they love it. There's a few chinkapin oaks in the area that dumped a boat load of acorns and the deer can't seem to eat em all, but they do stop by to feed on them often. No telling how many more acorns are across the property line.

D7DC7A2D-7328-4DDA-A948-C3988B71D86C.jpeg

Winchester

Warm temps definitely reduced my hunting some so far, we did however make a trip to Nashville area over the wknd and a group of us killed 14 in three days. I had forgotten just how many deer are in some areas of unit L. Also on a side note, had a 3 yr old buck absolutely dogging a doe yesterday morn when it was 43 degrees, grunting as aggressively as ive ever heard. Busted through a family group of does feeding under some oaks and when they heard him Grunt they bailed like they were on fire!

megalomaniac

I checked my cams this past weekend, all the older bucks are strictly nocturnal (on salt). I'm sure they are spending their days in a 50yd thicket with an oak tree in the middle so they don't have to move during daylight much. Does are moving a lot in the morning and evening (but we don't pressure them much)