When the loggers are there…. When they leave?

vanbhunter

We are about to log pines off of our property. There is roughly 40 acres that will be logged. What things should we encourage our loggers to do while they are there? What do we need to do once they are finished? We do have a timber broker who is putting the deal together and he is good. Any advice is welcome. Thank you!

JCDEERMAN

Lots of questions I have. Are they clear cutting? What's the terrain like? Do you own the land around that 40 acres, or is it just that 40 acres?

It all depends on your goals. Are you wanting to establish food plots? Are you going to run fire through there?

vanbhunter

Lots of questions I have. Are they clear cutting? What's the terrain like? Do you own the land around that 40 acres, or is it just that 40 acres?

It all depends on your goals. Are you wanting to establish food plots? Are you going to run fire through there?
They are going to be leaving 2-5 trees per acre. The terrain is flat and we own an additional 120 acres that is not being touched. We want ideal habitat for deer turkey and small game. We have plans to replant pines immediately after the cut.

JCDEERMAN

If fire is an option, you may try to work out a deal with them to put in some fire lines with a dozer. Doesn't have to be for the entire 40 acres, but establishing several perimeters for fires. Might be able to also work out a deal with them to remove some stumps in a couple different areas and have one or several food plots. Just have to map that out.

DavidW

write in the contract that they need to repair any damage to the roads/trails/culverts/property that were caused from the logging trucks and heavy equipment.

BSK

What MickThompson and DavidW said. It MUST be in the contract. I had a heck of a time with my loggers concerning roads. In the contract it stated they would "fix" all roads. It should have read "return all roads to original condition." Big difference.

Huntaholic

What MickThompson and DavidW said. It MUST be in the contract. I had a heck of a time with my loggers concerning roads. In the contract it stated they would "fix" all roads. It should have read "return all roads to original condition." Big difference.
My roads are left in better shape than when I start a job. I guess things are different here and I know there are a few bad loggers around, but Im 56 years old and a 3rd generation logger and Ive signed a grand total of ONE contract in my entire career. That dude was from Nashville and wanted a contract. I told him to draw it up, I would read it, and if I liked it I would sign it. His contract didn't contain a single thing that I hadn't already told him I would do. After signing it, I told him my word and a handshake is just as binding to me as any piece of paper.
Bottom line: know your logger and his reputation.

BSK

My roads are left in better shape than when I start a job. I guess things are different here and I know there are a few bad loggers around, but Im 56 years old and a 3rd generation logger and Ive signed a grand total of ONE contract in my entire career. That dude was from Nashville and wanted a contract. I told him to draw it up, I would read it, and if I liked it I would sign it. His contract didn't contain a single thing that I hadn't already told him I would do. After signing it, I told him my word and a handshake is just as binding to me as any piece of paper.
I have one thing to say to you Huntaholic: Please move west! Having worked with many big logging operations in western Middle TN, I can say the vast majority have terrible reputations. Unless you can find a small family-run operation, get ready for problems.

MickThompson

I've also seen a few that I wouldn't trust to mow the grass much less harvest timber

Huntaholic

I have one thing to say to you Huntaholic: Please move west! Having worked with many big logging operations in western Middle TN, I can say the vast majority have terrible reputations. Unless you can find a small family-run operation, get ready for problems.
Im too anchored to move, lol, sorry. About as far west as I will go is Smith, DeKalb, Macon. Pretty much any county that joins Jackson or Putnam, I will travel to. Beyond that and my crew would have a mutiny if I told them we had to stay to work and only come home on weekends.

BSK

...my crew would have a mutiny if I told them we had to stay to work and only come home on weekends.
Yeah, the crew that worked my place stayed in motels in Waverly and down at the I-40 exit.

The crew working my place fixed most of the massive ruts the chain-tired skidders put in the hillsides, but their bulldozer operator had no idea how to make roads. He simply bulldozed a strip through the woods flat, with no drains, and usually a foot deeper than the surrounding ground so the roads are guaranteed to hold water. And when it came to fixing roads up and down hills, he couldn't get the idea of broad-based dips through his head. All he knew how to do was make three-foot high water bars, which is exactly what I asked the crew NOT to do. Pretty hard to drive a pick-up or tractor over a vertical three-foot-high water bar.

Huntaholic

Yeah, the crew that worked my place stayed in motels in Waverly and down at the I-40 exit.

The crew working my place fixed most of the massive ruts the chain-tired skidders put in the hillsides, but their bulldozer operator had no idea how to make roads. He simply bulldozed a strip through the woods flat, with no drains, and usually a foot deeper than the surrounding ground so the roads are guaranteed to hold water. And when it came to fixing roads up and down hills, he couldn't get the idea of broad-based dips through his head. All he knew how to do was make three-foot high water bars, which is exactly what I asked the crew NOT to do. Pretty hard to drive a pick-up or tractor over a vertical three-foot-high water bar.
A road on, or up and down a hillside is EASY to fix and keep it from washing, most of the time my roads don't need waterbars in fact. All you've got to do is slope them gently so the water feathers off the side. A road across perfectly flat ground poses much more of a challenge to be honest. It can be done but it takes staying on top of things and NOT letting those ruts get started. You've got to have some turnouts in it too. If they don't naturally occur, then you've got to make them yourself. Some folks tell me I take too much time on things like that but 30 years from now when the next crew comes in to cut, they will appreciate being able to use the same roads I made.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I would consider NOT replanting, and burning the area. Pine savannah (created by regular burning) is phenomenally good deer habitat.
Absolutely This!!

There will be a flush of everything and it will be great habitat next year. Hardwoods may well try to establish but burning every 3 years will handle that.

BSK

A road on, or up and down a hillside is EASY to fix and keep it from washing, most of the time my roads don't need waterbars in fact. All you've got to do is slope them gently so the water feathers off the side.
Exactly. Always have the road graded towards the downhill side, and occasional produce a slight dip and rise in the road so water cannot build up erosion speed and is forced off the road on the downhill side (broad-based dip).