When the loggers are there…. When they leave?

bobbuck

Im too anchored to move, lol, sorry. About as far west as I will go is Smith, DeKalb, Macon. Pretty much any county that joins Jackson or Putnam, I will travel to. Beyond that and my crew would have a mutiny if I told them we had to stay to work and only come home on weekends.
Good to know. I have some land in Fentress county that we will eventually cut.

Os2Outdoors

My roads are left in better shape than when I start a job. I guess things are different here and I know there are a few bad loggers around, but Im 56 years old and a 3rd generation logger and Ive signed a grand total of ONE contract in my entire career. That dude was from Nashville and wanted a contract. I told him to draw it up, I would read it, and if I liked it I would sign it. His contract didn't contain a single thing that I hadn't already told him I would do. After signing it, I told him my word and a handshake is just as binding to me as any piece of paper.
Bottom line: know your logger and his reputation.
First sentence says it. I'm a second generation Logger in Northern middle Tennessee, Montgomery County. I tell folks when I leave a place. The roads, fields etc are in better shape than when I got there.

Deck78

First sentence says it. I'm a second generation Logger in Northern middle Tennessee, Montgomery County. I tell folks when I leave a place. The roads, fields etc are in better shape than when I got there.
Any chance you want to cut a giant pile of pines in Hickman County?:D

skipperbrown

I recommend a start/end date and putting trail cameras up so you can see how many loads are taken out. Match # of loads to mill tickets/dates. Take photos of roads b/f and a/ they are finished.

Topshelf

Have the logger provide references and see if you can go out eyes on property that he has cut recently and see if it suits what you're looking for. I logged for years before switching careers and this was always a possibility for folks inquiring how we performed or how we left property when we were finished with a place. Sometimes we would leave a dozer and operator at a property for a week or more after all other equipment was moved out.

Topshelf

Have the logger provide references and see if you can go put eyes on property that he has cut recently and see if it suits what you're looking for. I logged for years before switching careers and this was always a possibility for folks inquiring how we performed or how we left property when we were finished with a place. Sometimes we would leave a dozer and operator at a property for a week after all other equipment was moved out.

BSK

Have the logger provide references and see if you can go put eyes on property that he has cut recently and see if it suits what you're looking for.
I did just that, and honestly was pleased with what I saw. They had cut heavy, but that's exactly what I wanted in the designated areas. The problem was timing. I looked at their work from a summer cut. By the time they got to me it was winter, which was fine, as I wanted the extra regrowth the first growing season after a winter cut provides. Both myself and the logger thought my chert ridgetops and roads would hold up fine during a winter cut. About 2 months and 20 inches of rain later, we found we were both wrong. Our road network was demolished. And their dozer operator was not a master at fixing winter-damaged roads. We are still paying the price, and probably will be for years, for all of that road damage. I would get a dozer operator in their who understands road-building, but they are all busy preping home sites due to the housing boom. Can't get a dozer operator for the life of me.

Topshelf

It never too late to learn yourself now that would definitely be an asset to your business then you would 2 of the greatest jobs in the world lol.

BSK

It never too late to learn yourself now that would definitely be an asset to your business then you would 2 of the greatest jobs in the world lol.
I would absolutely LOVE to learn how to run a dozer. However, buying one is a bit pricey! And any equipment I've ever rented have been worn out pieces of crap.

Os2Outdoors

I did just that, and honestly was pleased with what I saw. They had cut heavy, but that's exactly what I wanted in the designated areas. The problem was timing. I looked at their work from a summer cut. By the time they got to me it was winter, which was fine, as I wanted the extra regrowth the first growing season after a winter cut provides. Both myself and the logger thought my chert ridgetops and roads would hold up fine during a winter cut. About 2 months and 20 inches of rain later, we found we were both wrong. Our road network was demolished. And their dozer operator was not a master at fixing winter-damaged roads. We are still paying the price, and probably will be for years, for all of that road damage. I would get a dozer operator in their who understands road-building, but they are all busy preping home sites due to the housing boom. Can't get a dozer operator for the life of me.
Those roads should of been left alone in the winter. If I was the logger, I'd waited till it was powder dry summer an came back an fixed it. Very easy an fast that time of year.

Latest posts