When do you pick your maters?

Hammer

Seems like the critters prefer the red ones.

I have always picked mine when they first start to turn red, and let them finish up inside. When do you pick?

In_my_sights

Macon,Davidson, and anywhere else I can hunt
I have been doing the same thing. I pick when about half ripe. With it as dry as it has been the birds will poke holes in it to get the water. I read on another site that setting out pans with water will keep the birds from pecking at your tomatoes to get water. I don't have problems with anything else.

Chapman

I pick most of mine when they start showing some pink on the bottom. I try not to let the birds see a red tomato and start pecking them.

catman529

According to the experts, picking a tomato at first blush and letting it ripen on the counter won't affect the flavor and it will be the same as if you let it ripen on the vine. Once the color starts to show, it takes no more nutrients from the plant and can ripen on its own either on or off the vine. So I either pick them partially ripe or ripe, just depends. If the birds start to get mine this year, I will pick them early. But they are very close to a river so I guess the birds better behave and go down to the river to drink.

Super8

First 5 green ones go in the skillet, then its a "what do I have room for in the house"
Usually picking them as they first start turning red and finish them inside.
Always leaving some " i cant wait" for this one to turn red on the vine and slap it one some bread with some mayo,salt and pepper.
Picked 450 tomatoes this year, Im done.

Latest posts