Anyone Do This?

Wrangler95

Saw on a gardening site that you can fertilize fresh planted tomatoes with coffee grounds and crushed egg shells!I'm gonna try this!This is intended to be put in hole with tomato plant to jump start them!

DaveB

If you want to grow your own fishing worms block out a space in your yard and cover it with coffee grounds. And keep on doing so. Turn the soil a few times when you first start, nothing thereafter until you are ready to harvest. And I harvest the old fashioned way: Take a battery, a fully charged one, like whats in the Wife's car. Jumper cable red to metal tent spike on one side of worm home. Black to other side.

Worms will crawl out on their own. Disconnect battery, harvest your hard work.

As for returning battery to wife's car. That is up to your discretion.

BTW, to my knowledge the addition of eggshell to your garden has a few requirements:
1. Grind them up. I mean near grain of sand size.
2. Add to soil. Turn turn turn.
3. Wait. It takes quite awhile for the eggshell to return its composition to the ground in a plant usable format. Larger the particle, longer the time. I have a B&D food chopper. It works good. Shake while grinding. Don't forget to hold lid on.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
If you want to grow your own fishing worms block out a space in your yard and cover it with coffee grounds. And keep on doing so. Turn the soil a few times when you first start, nothing thereafter until you are ready to harvest. And I harvest the old fashioned way: Take a battery, a fully charged one, like whats in the Wife's car. Jumper cable red to metal tent spike on one side of worm home. Black to other side.

BTW, to my knowledge the addition of eggshell to your garden has a few requirements:
3. Wait. It takes quite awhile for the eggshell to return its composition to the ground in a plant usable format. Larger the particle, longer the time. I have a B&D food chopper. It works good. Shake while grinding. Don't forget to hold lid on.
Cover the coffee infused soil with cardboard and a board to keep it down, keep moist and a limit of those worms will be on top under the cardboard ready to go.

Omega

Cornmeal works too, I used to have a worm bin to grow them for the garden (castings) and fishing.

DaveB

Cornmeal works too, I used to have a worm bin to grow them for the garden (castings) and fishing.

ahhhhhhhh Mr. Omega!!!! My apologies, I absolutely forgot.

Corn meal works great. My Uncle John, kind of a Ozark Mountain hill billy, said you can eat em if you raise them on cornmeal.

Omega

ahhhhhhhh Mr. Omega!!!! My apologies, I absolutely forgot.

Corn meal works great. My Uncle John, kind of a Ozark Mountain hill billy, said you can eat em if you raise them on cornmeal.
No thank you, rather use them to catch fish to eat. 🤣

I had to go look, for a minute I thought you were talking about this uncle.
Uncle Jim's Worm Farm!

Got my starter worms from here, and some of the supplies as well.

Henry

Apparently, we were really egg rich last year cause the wife used entire eggs, not just shells...I was calculating $$$$ while she's thinking more mators. Hope she uses the same holes for the tomato plants this year so I can see a return on that $$$$ because the concept go wiped out by lots of water, no water and high heat, and then water and split tomatoes that grew way after normal and weren't that great.

Tenntrapper

The blossom end rot is usually caused by lack of calcium. And it's not just the lack of calcium (in the ground) that causes it. It has to be in a form that the plant can use....and it needs moisture to do that. Infrequently watered plants will suffer...they need to be on almost a routine... whatever that may be... daily, bi-weekly, whatever....just try to keep it the same.
That said, this year I'm trying something different. I've always lymed the garden pretty good, but that also affects the pH. This year, I put a big spoonful of gypsum in the hole with each plant. It's supposed to add calcium, but is pH neutral. Will see how it goes.

BTW, if you have straw bales, putting a couple plants in each, will yield results that are impressive.

Chapman

I use Calcium Nitrate fertilizer to help prevent blossum-end rot. It is 15% Nitrogen and 15% Calcium. You can buy small bags at the local Feed Store. I add a couple teaspoons to each plant weekly after they start setting tomatoes. Lots of folks claim Espon Salts help but this guy says no, and can make it worse.

Chapman

Not bragging, my season starts a lot earlier here. Picture from today growing in cattle lick tubs.

Attachments

• Tomato plant 5-11-23.jpg
    Tomato plant 5-11-23.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 49

Latest posts