What's the Best Inflatable PFD?

rsimms

I routinely see folks online asking, "What is the best inflatable PFD (life preserver) to buy?" There are a wide variety of Pro's and Con's. Recently the BoatUS Foundation did a comprehensive review of the most popular inflatables on the market. You can read the details here: https://www.boatus.com/expert-advice/expert-advice-archive/2023/june/inflating-your-safety-iq By the way, if you are a client on my boat, you will be REQUIRED to wear CO2 belt at all times!

inflatable.jpg

Last edited:

Omega

Best life insurance out there. I am in the market for one right now, I have a mustang military model but don't know if they are CG approved, should be but it would have to be marked or you may get a ticket by TWRA.

BTW, Spell check got Channel 9, I doubt there are any inflatable PDFs.
1686318743985.png

Kirk

I must admit Mr. Simms, you got me hooked on the belt style many years ago. I wear the big jacket on plane and have the belt on too. When I stop to fish it is just the belt. (Unless I am in big water or lots of traffic then it is the big jacket. )

Antler Daddy

My 16 year old son has been spending a lot of time fishing in kayaks on a river and in a boat on lake this summer. He went on a guided striper fishing trip yesterday with his friend and his grandfather.

They promise they wear their jackets, but I am a skeptic. What would be best one to buy that they absolutely would wear without any complaints?

Sam Davis

I have an Onyx but I keep a regular vest on the boat in case I get caught in the rain. My next one will be the type that only activates if it's submerged. Once I get busy fishing I pretty much forget I have it on.
I have 2 mustang HIT . They are expensive. I caught them on sale at the end of the year on their website . They are good for 5 years unless inflated I really like that about them also.

rsimms

I agree that the belt varieties are not the safest in actual use. However I personally consider myself safer because I really don't mind wearing the belt ALL THE TIME! I really can't even tolerate the over-the-shoulder varieties in hot weather. But the belt goes on when we step on the boat and is never removed until we step off.

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
Im gonna say the belt is better for fishing with others. It gives them a chance to do something and the person falling in from going under. One big wave could swamp you and you wouldnt come back up again. at least the belt will give me a chance to grab you !! :)

TN Larry

I went through this earlier in the year. I initially wanted an HIT Mustang. I ordered one and hated it. I couldn't get comfortable wearing it around the house so sent it back. I decided on the Onyx. I wanted the HIT version, but the Onyx just fit me so much better. My advise is to try them on in advance instead of ordering like I did.

Latest posts