Best time to crappie fish?

Crow Terminator

People at work and on my Facebook page ask me quite often "when do the crappie start running". I can't help myself...."I dunno, I've never saw a crappie run...I've only saw them swim".

On Chickamauga they are starting to stage at the creek mouths and big bends. Same on the Hiwassee. But...I have been humbled by them many times where you go and catch a limit one day and then the next, can't find them anywhere, but the white and yellow bass have moved into the same area.

Iglow

I've always heard when the redbuds first start to bloom the fish are headed to the banks, and they are all there when the dogwoods bloom, so early to mid March to the end of April. Unless an unusual cold runs them off it's held true for as long as I can remember.

Urban_Hunter

I fished them pretty hard last spring, this fall, and this winter. I want to say winter is the best because I'm catching more now than the previous seasons, but also think I'm just learning them better. Biggest thing I've noticed is the spots that they've been on for the last two weeks may be empty tomorrow. A spot that usually produces a couple fish may fill your live well tomorrow and then never again. I went to chickamauga in march last year… it was the last time I caught a two man limit. Someone on here said something along the lines of 10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish. That man didn't lie lol

rsimms

You can catch crappie on Chickamauga 365 days a year! You simply have to adjust your locations and techniques to what the fish are doing.

That said, MY favorite time is from right now until the first week of April - the period known as "pre-spawn." That's when long-line trolling works best. It requires a little boat set-up but once done, it is super easy even for kids and inexperienced anglers, super relaxing and produces LOTS of fish. Granted, it may not as much fun as "single-poling," casting for crappie, but for the aforementioned reasons, it is HIGHLY effective. This video is an excellent examply of the reason I like it.

WTM

^^^^agree. you can get cheap extended rod holders off amazon for like 6 bucks a piece, some stainless screws from lowes and youre in business, except for a few rods.

during pre-spawn theyll swim back and forth feeding and ripening eggs. food is more important than cover or structure during march if the water temps cooperate.

when the water temps consistently set around 55 degrees theyll start to spawn. it doesnt matter about the calendar date its all about light and water temps. the north side south facing slopes will always be a couple degrees higher in the spring. find some harder bottom with some good cover and theyll be there first.

Latest posts