What wine do you use for cooking?

JimFromTN

If I am buying wine strictly for cooking, its usually something like Crane Lake because its cheap and its not a bad wine. Its actually had allot of good write ups for being such an inexpensive wine. Sometimes I will buy a 1.5 ltr bottle of whatever I am planning on drinking that night and use that for cooking. You need to plan on at least 2 glasses of wine per person and a standard 750ml bottle has 4 glasses in it. As far as what flavors, I usually cook with a cabernet if I use red and maybe a sauvignon blanc if I am using white.

Whenever I buy a bottle of wine and it tastes awful. I will stick it in the frig for cooking rather than pouring it out.

green doe

This is a really good question. I never really know what kind of red wine to use because I don't like most red wines.

I used to drink white wine often so it was no problem using some for cooking. But I haven't had but 2 glasses since I got pregnant back in '08. I have a real problem buying a big bottle for a recipe. I know I can freeze it but my freezer is full enough already.

JimFromTN

Boy, you sure have been pregnant a long time. You know they can induce now a days

You don't need to buy the extra big bottle if you aren't drinking it. Thats just what I do when I have guests and I am needing some for drinking and some for cooking. Some wine makers actually make a small bottle of wine which is like 400 ml and then again you may be able to find air plane bottles of wine too. The thing is that Crane Lake is only about $5 a bottle which is probably same or even less than what you are going o pay for the smaller bottles. Buy the Crane Lake, use what you need and stick the rest in the frig or give it to a friend who likes wine. It will keep in the frig for a couple of months and still be good for cooking. Cabernet Sauvignon is commonly recomended as a red wine for cooking.

JimFromTN

I like Penfolds too but I have never seen it that cheap. Everywhere I go, its around $11 to $13 a bottle. Its good enough that it has a hard time making it into the pot. Have you ever had Bogle? Its a pretty good for $11 to $12 a bottle wine. I have only had their reds.

jb3

Bogle is pretty good. I believe the man that started Hardee's is the owner of Bogle, I think.

Wildcat

One thing, NEVER, NEVER use the so called cooking wines, they are saltly and have other additives and might work AGAINST the taste of the food you are trying to cook.

Another thing is do NOT use any wine you would not drink. it's pointless to do that to try to save a little money. Remember the cooking REDUCES the wine and brings out the worst of the taste you do not like.

You do not have to get any expensive wine but the cheapest wine will ruin a dish you are trying to cook.

Just use a wine you like to drink, a mid price one. Remember you are trying to ENRICH the favor not trying to cover it up.

One way to save wine and money here is to plan ahead. A good wine will last 2 weeks after it's opened so you can plan to use it in 3-4 dishes over thet time if you do not want to drink the wine. That's what i do. I plan to fix 3 meals with wine over 2 weeks and go to the store, I don't buy all my food that day because I like to make everything fresh homemade so I get what i'll use that day. I'll also pick up the wine and go from there.

vabuckbuster

JimFromTN said:
If I am buying wine strictly for cooking, its usually something like Crane Lake because its cheap and its not a bad wine. Its actually had allot of good write ups for being such an inexpensive wine. Sometimes I will buy a 1.5 ltr bottle of whatever I am planning on drinking that night and use that for cooking. You need to plan on at least 2 glasses of wine per person and a standard 750ml bottle has 4 glasses in it. As far as what flavors, I usually cook with a cabernet if I use red and maybe a sauvignon blanc if I am using white.

Whenever I buy a bottle of wine and it tastes awful. I will stick it in the frig for cooking rather than pouring it out.

Yep. Crane lake. It is great for cooking down collards.

green doe

JimFromTN said:
Boy, you sure have been pregnant a long time. You know they can induce now a days
:D You nut! I was pregnant and had the baby but now I'm nursing so I have to time it out and it's just easier to not drink. And I have to be honest - where I used to be able to drink a half to a whole bottle in one night (as long as I was at home ) if I have one glass now I feel it too much. My favorite wine is a $9 Prairie Fume from a local winery. I've never cooked with it, though.

I really lose it when it comes to reds, though. Merlot, Cabernet, Shiraz, etc. I don't like any of them for drinking and I get leery of reducing them into my food.

Marti

I made a lemon caper sauce for pasta to go with chicken piccata last night. Used Barefoot Moscato in it and it turned out pretty well...if, I do say so myself. A little in the sauce...a little for me. ;)

JimFromTN

green doe said:
JimFromTN said:
:D You nut! I was pregnant and had the baby but now I'm nursing so I have to time it out and it's just easier to not drink. And I have to be honest - where I used to be able to drink a half to a whole bottle in one night (as long as I was at home ) if I have one glass now I feel it too much. My favorite wine is a $9 Prairie Fume from a local winery. I've never cooked with it, though.

I really lose it when it comes to reds, though. Merlot, Cabernet, Shiraz, etc. I don't like any of them for drinking and I get leery of reducing them into my food.

Getting used to drinking room temperature dry wine can take time and some never get used to it. It took me many years but now I enjoy it.

You should not be afraid to cook with red wine. Its very simple and it produces great results.

Bowriter, in Justin Wilsons cookbooks, he uses the term I think sautern wine or something like that for white wine and I think he had another term for red. Does this ring a bell?

Latest posts