what to plant

bellwood

Anyone have advice on what to plant and when on about 3/4 acre of available open ground-surrounded by hard woods and grass field. There are birds in the area but I would like to try to get them into a feeding pattern (on our side of the fence) if that is possible. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Huntaholic

If its for turkeys only, wheat! They get to use it in the early spring all the way thru season, then when it heads out and ripens they come back thru and pick the seeds out of the heads.

bellwood

If I plant wheat in Feb will it come up in time for turkey season opener? I am going to plant chufa and white ladino also but think i need to wait til fall- not sure on that. I'm not a serious food plot guy- this is just something to do and hope it attracts a few deer and turkey to at least give them an option. Thanks.

Huntaholic

bellwood said:
If I plant wheat in Feb will it come up in time for turkey season opener? I am going to plant chufa and white ladino also but think i need to wait til fall- not sure on that. I'm not a serious food plot guy- this is just something to do and hope it attracts a few deer and turkey to at least give them an option. Thanks.
YES!

deerchaser007

bellwood said:

Seriously,.. don't bother with chufa,. it takes a slightly sandy type soil for it to benefit turkey. They must be able to scratch up the chufa ,.. in which ,. if you mix in clover,.. you do not want it scratched up. Stick with a wheat/clover mix.

WTM

chufa, if you got the right kind of soil. after it makes you will have to pull some of it up yourself so the turkey will find it. after that they will do it themselves.

if not, anything that greens up pretty quick and will hold insects.

all of my fields were done in the CRP program, and they absolutely love it for eating and nesting. i do bush hog some of it for strutting lanes before spring, usually in oct or nov.

Latest posts