Best trees to plant for Turkey

Gobble4me757

I'm planning on planting various acorn and fruit trees for deer and Turkey. Which ones would be the best to consider for turkeys? Open to any and all recommendations.

TNlandowner

What are the producing times for these? Like how many years before acorns/fruit?
Here's my best guess as soil, light, competition, and other factors impact production.

Summac, Dogwood, Persimmon 5 - 8 years
Sawtooth oaks: 6 - 10 years
Native oaks: much longer... > 15 years, but much longer lived trees

drake799

Willow oaks may be a good option. They're small acorns and from what I've seen wildlife love them

1 good shot

Use caution with this non-native, invasive.
Only if you want a highly invasive plant that is damn near impossible to get rid of plus the thorns poke holes in tractor tires. Folks have planted it for quail refuge and food but regret it later
I may be calling this by the wrong name.
That's what my dad said it was.
But this stuff doesn't have thorns and has been there at least 20 years and hasn't really spread

yellalinehunter

Maybe it was the stem that would pop a tire after they were cut, not thorns . Was a royal pain on a quail plantation I worked on in central Alabama.

drake799

Yes
What some call Willow Oaks is not the same as others.

Yes these are what I'm talking about. I have them in my yard and the deer love them. My dog keeps them
Run off now but before I got it the deer would be on these all the time. There may be better options im
Not a tree person but they seem alright to me.

Latest posts