Best trees to plant for Turkey

woodsman04

I joined Arbor Day foundation in 2008. They sent a pack of trees and I got to pick ten additional trees. I picked all Sawtooths.
Planted as seedlings. Twigs about 20" tall. As of now they are probably 30'+ with the base as big as my thigh. Started having sparse acorns about 2017. This year they were absolutely loaded.

When they were young, I put fence around them to keep deer away. Used roundup carefully to keep weeds away from the tree. I had some five gallon containers with a top on them. I'd drill a couple of small holes in the bottom. Fill them up with water and place them at the base. When they got about 6-8' tall in 2010/2011, I got them tree fertilizer packs and dug holes around the root line.

That is all I did with them. The turkey and deer really like them. I am very pleased with them.

th88

Couple fruits I haven't saw mentioned that turkey love, blueberries and mulberries. We have several blueberry bushes on our property and the turkeys love them. The big bonus is that I love them too! And mulberries fruit pretty early.

Wooden Arrow

I want to and will do at another property but unable to create a fire break around the 15 acres due to being so thick. I want to do both trees and fire
the birds really respond to a fire. exposes acorns, bugs, all kind of goodies. they like the increased visibility too. i've killed birds in Alabama that had smoke coming up around them. it takes a long time for a pine stump to quit smoldering.

Wooden Arrow

mind you, this aint a tree, but...there are areas in Alabama where we found turnips growing in low spots in power line clearings, linear food plots etc. frequently bumped turkeys out of those low spots. :)

Latest posts