what size shells

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
ok im the type bigger shells the better so what size shells do you all use waterfowl hunting 3in or 3.5in shells? i have always used 3.5 shells but does it really help that much than 3in shells

Kevin

Most of the time i use 3.5's. Its like a mental block for me. I used a 10 ga for 4 years too, before my cousin got back into hunting and was ready for it back. I just can't bring myself to shoot 3's. I feel like im leaving some punch in the bag.

Im also 6'4 250, and think bigger is always better. I couldnt bring myself to shoot less than 70 lbs either. Just my preference.

I think its just because i am so big, the only vehicles i have ever owned have been full sized as well.

Southern Sportsman

I cant remember the last box of 3.5" duck shells i bought. Even if they were the same price I would shoot 3". I just never have seen any apreciable advantage to a 3.5" I ususally even buy some 2 3/4" shells to shoot in the early season when we're killing fair numbers of teal and gray ducks. You can only kill them so dead.

Chaneylake

the average to below average shooter can not handle the recoil on a 3.5 inch shell on second or third shot, if head is not down and shooter is not maintaining sight picture of shot through all 3 shots if needed, then recoil is to great

TheLBLman

I'd add that there have probably been more ducks killed with 2 3/4" shells than 3" or 3 1/2". For over half a century, the "standard" duck load was a 1 1/4" load of lead #6's. Like Chaneylake points out, greater recoil gives you a disadvantage on the 2nd and 3rd shots ---- something to think about.

thetoolman

Been looking at new shotguns and honestly the one I like the best is a 3inch gun. Shoots 2 3/4 and 3's, buddy of mine once told me the only reason he has a gun that will shoot 3 1/2 is for when they are sold out of 3 inch.

ClubHead

Back when geese came every year we all had 10 guages.When they showed up every other year or so we had 3 1/2s.Now we all shoot 3 inch.Peace out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uncle Jesse

I shot 3.5's for several years, even for early season :D I currently use 3" only now... in 20 gauge. I sold all my auto loading 12 gauge guns and got a cheap pump just in case I find the need to use a 12 again.

Latest posts