Shot size for cranes

AveryPC

I have a crane hunt this upcoming Saturday and wanted some opinions on shells. I am between regular steel 3-inch BB and Hevi-Hammer 3 inch #2. Which one of these will work best I have no experience hunting cranes.

TAFKAP

I've only ever shot 3" BB at them. For a bird that big, I wouldn't want to go smaller. If you can find it (and feel like spending the $40 for a box), I've had great success with the Blind Side ammo. I've been crane hunting 3 times, and have yet to shoot through my first box of Blind Side. Still have plenty of ammo for my 4th trip this season. I couldn't recommend it more highly

tnbucs1

#2 or bigger (1,s or BB) steel should be sufficient. I hunted this past weekend and used some 3 inch #4 Boss (Copper Plated) and it did the job.

AveryPC

Seems like BB's are the way to go. The only reason I thought 2s might be better is because it would give me a better chance at hitting them in the neck or the head, like turkey hunting.

TAFKAP

Seems like BB's are the way to go. The only reason I thought 2s might be better is because it would give me a better chance at hitting them in the neck or the head, like turkey hunting.

Aim for the tip of the beak and you'll be fine. The issue with cranes isn't hitting them in the head or the neck, it's trying to realize that the bird coming in at you isn't a football-sized duck at 15 yards....it's a 747 coming in hot and fast at 40 yards.

There was a perceptible enough time for me to think "Dang, I missed" when I brought down my first bird. It folded up and crashed to the ground after the thought crossed my mind. I stepped off a 55 yard distance to go pick it up. When I skinned it, there were two pellet holes in its neck, and one in its head. When I pulled the trigger, I felt like the bird was right in my face.

TAFKAP

Not only that, but Sandhills are big and tough. I want as few holes in the meat as I can get, so go big so you have a better chance of killing it instead of crippling it. You get that thing flopping around, and it's got a lot of pointy parts to gig you.

AveryPC

Aim for the tip of the beak and you'll be fine. The issue with cranes isn't hitting them in the head or the neck, it's trying to realize that the bird coming in at you isn't a football-sized duck at 15 yards....it's a 747 coming in hot and fast at 40 yards.

There was a perceptible enough time for me to think "Dang, I missed" when I brought down my first bird. It folded up and crashed to the ground after the thought crossed my mind. I stepped off a 55 yard disItance to go pick it up. When I skinned it, there were two pellet holes in its neck, and one in its head. When I pulled the trigger, I felt like the bird was right in my face.
I really had not considered the size of them making it harder to judge the distance, but that makes sense. I will try to keep that in mind if we have any opportunities tomorrow.

TheLBLman

Considering how few shots are going to be fired annually (kinda like turkey hunting), isn't there a case to be made for using say #9 TSS, going strictly for head/neck coverage?

I haven't been yet, but thinking about just using one of my turkey guns with TSS.
Is this a bad idea?

TAFKAP

Considering how few shots are going to be fired annually (kinda like turkey hunting), isn't there a case to be made for using say #9 TSS, going strictly for head/neck coverage?

I haven't been yet, but thinking about just using one of my turkey guns with TSS.
Is this a bad idea?

I say bad idea, mainly because wing-shooting a flying bird is different than being able to set up essentially a rested rifle shot for a walking turkey.

I don't have enough info to compare the patterns of a 3" BB through modified vs. 3" Blended TSS through a tight turkey choke, but I wouldn't want the possibility of winging a crane with small-sized bird shot. Catastrophic wound cratering with a BB will kill a crane. Peppering one with a million little pellets will make it fly off.

TheLBLman

I say bad idea, mainly because wing-shooting a flying bird is different than being able to set up essentially a rested rifle shot for a walking turkey.
I understand that concern, but wasn't necessarily planning to use a super-tight turkey choke.

Mainly just thinking TSS is more potent than steel shot.
Considering how few shots will be taken, the cost of TSS isn't much issue.

Latest posts