What says TWRA about this...

muddyboots

These are the facts I know. I have hunted the same 900 acre lease for 16 years. When i first started turkey hunting it the limit was one. There were two turkey hunters on the whole place. Turkeys everywhere. Kill one pretty easily. Then the limit was raised to two. We thought great get to hunt more. We still killed our two limit but we picked up a couple more turkey hunters and they started killing there limit. No problem still plenty turkeys. Then the limit went to three we thought even better. We really whacked em that year. Then the limit went to 4 and we really whacked em even more then. Then the last two years you can barely see a turkey. We killed three birds this year on the whole lease with 8 turkey hunters. Did we kill too many? Heck yea in hindsight but we thought TWRA knew what they were talking about. Hunting was 20 times better when the limit was two.

RS

muudyboots, I think that we as hunters have a responsibility to help manage the resources on our particular properties. TWRA is trying to manage the state as a whole.

As I stated earlier, the antlerless limit where I deer hunt is 3/day the whole season. Will I try to kill 3/day? Heck no, because my deer sightings will eventually go down. I do my best to manage the areas I hunt. If there appears to be fewer birds on a particular property one year, I kill fewer or hunt other areas. I know some people don't have that luxury, or they hunt public ground, and I can sympathize with them. But should those that work hard on managing their properties and have good populations of birds be "penalized" because others have mismanaged their hunting grounds?

4onaside

muddyboots said:
These are the facts I know. I have hunted the same 900 acre lease for 16 years. When i first started turkey hunting it the limit was one. There were two turkey hunters on the whole place. Turkeys everywhere. Kill one pretty easily. Then the limit was raised to two. We thought great get to hunt more. We still killed our two limit but we picked up a couple more turkey hunters and they started killing there limit. No problem still plenty turkeys. Then the limit went to three we thought even better. We really whacked em that year. Then the limit went to 4 and we really whacked em even more then. Then the last two years you can barely see a turkey. We killed three birds this year on the whole lease with 8 turkey hunters. Did we kill too many? Heck yea in hindsight but we thought TWRA knew what they were talking about. Hunting was 20 times better when the limit was two.
I had a thousand dollars in the bank. I kept taking it out in ever larger increments, and I was buying all sorts of good things. Then one day I tried to take some more out, and they told me that there wasn't any more money in my account. The bank should have told me that if I kept taking it out, there wouldn't be anymore left to spend. But, after all, it was my money and I did enjoy the things that it bought. Looking back the whole thing was the banks fault.

8 POINTS OR BETTER

4onaside said:
Sounds like a bunch of turkeys. What part of the county are you in? How many people killed 11? And I ain't settin you up for the 4's too many sermon! I'm of the age where the battle cry is, "Wait, wait for what!". LOL

Hardin Co., 7 hunters killed the 11, but we had 9 different hunters hunt at least once during the season. Of the 11, one was a Jake (killed by a kid on the juvenile hunt) and the other 10 toms all had 1" spurs or longer. We have not see a 2 year old the last two years.

4onaside

captain hook said:
4onaside said:
muddyboots said:
I had a thousand dollars in the bank. I kept taking it out in ever larger increments, and I was buying all sorts of good things. Then one day I tried to take some more out, and they told me that there wasn't any more money in my account. The bank should have told me that if I kept taking it out, there wouldn't be anymore left to spend. But, after all, it was my money and I did enjoy the things that it bought. Looking back the whole thing was the banks fault.

Glad you finally equate real world examples with how TWRA is managing our turkey population statewide.
Say what? It was an analogy making the point that RS just made, that you are big boys and you need to manage your own turkeys on your own land, not look for someone to blame because your resources have been depleted by you. Sorry you missed the point. But maybe you thought that any mention of a shortcoming has to be the fault of the TWRA, not the indvidual hunters on a limited piece of property.

Huntaholic

I hunt 6 different counties, I dont think it's me personally thats depleting the resource in any one place. It is however the combined effect of everyone else that gives me worry. Not much left to say and even less that we can do on this topic.

RS

Huntaholic said:
Not much left to say and even less that we can do on this topic.

Huntaholic, I totally agree with that statement. TWRA can in no way make every hunter happy, especially when some are seeing lots of birds and others aren't seeing any. I'm just glad we have the opportunity to hunt them in Tennessee.

I'm done with this topic.

4onaside

RS said:
Huntaholic said:
Not much left to say and even less that we can do on this topic.

Huntaholic, I totally agree with that statement. TWRA can in no way make every hunter happy, especially when some are seeing lots of birds and others aren't seeing any. I'm just glad we have the opportunity to hunt them in Tennessee.

I'm done with this topic.
Right on boys.

Latest posts