What out of state deer hunting regs do you like?

soshock1

I hunt mainly in TN but also hunt with some family in AL. AL does NOTHING better than TN when it comes to deer hunting. Say what you will about how we have to check in the deer in TN, AL has no check system and their deer harvest data is just some guy's best guess. Not really what you were asking but my two cents anyway.

Recoil

Since I'm from Missouri and have family there, I enjoy going there and hunting as a nonresident with it's four points on one side restriction--which gives you many more opportunities to shoot a much nicer "average" buck than middle Tennessee affords.

7mmshooter

soshock1 said:
I hunt mainly in TN but also hunt with some family in AL. AL does NOTHING better than TN when it comes to deer hunting. Say what you will about how we have to check in the deer in TN, AL has no check system and their deer harvest data is just some guy's best guess. Not really what you were asking but my two cents anyway.
I hunt a lot in alabama and also in tennessee and have wondered why in alabama you dont have to check in deer and turkey. but this year they have chenged it, you have to check deer in, like you do in Tn. but you also have to fill out a harvest record that you have to have with you at all times while hunting.

Vermin93

Poser said:
TN's rules regrading a deer hunters entrance to the woods in relationship to first light on public land is absolute garbage. It's not enough time to adequately penetrate the woods and get setup before first light, much less shooting light. Even on the quota hunts they let you enter the WMA's before stated time. I say ditch that reg -it is not only useless, it is unenforceable,disregarded across the board, it is (potebtially) inhibitive of hardcore hunting. -a small, but overlooked reality of public land deer hunting.

X2! Totally agree. Great point!

gator-n-buck

I'm not much on change but I will post a few I might consider...
- Buckshot
- running dogs
- one buck per day
- Bow only (all season)
- no rifle season
- one buck limit
- No check in system
- Rifle only season (all season)
- Earn a buck
- Hunt over bait
- Legal to shoot them from your truck
- outlaw crossbows
- hunting from the ground only
- has to have 5 points on one side
- Only can kill does on the last weekend of the season
- 11 buck limit
- Crossbows only (all season)
- No hunting within a 100 yards of food plots
- No hunting over bait
- Shorter season
- No hunting with dogs
- Longer season
- No doe limits
- Hunt at night with a spot light
- No blaze orange
- Camo illegal
- Spear season
- Hunting over only Wal-Mart brand corn
- illegal to hunt over salt licks
- Bow hunting illegal
- Drive hunting only
- Wear blaze orange from head to toe
- Slug hunting only

Like I stated, I'm not much on change but I thought I would post a few I would consider. :D :D

BSK

Recoil said:
Since I'm from Missouri and have family there, I enjoy going there and hunting as a nonresident with it's four points on one side restriction--which gives you many more opportunities to shoot a much nicer "average" buck than middle Tennessee affords.

Just remember MO is always going to produce much better bucks of the same age as TN does. Just a matter of habitat quality.

TheLBLman

BSK said:
Just remember MO is always going to produce much better bucks of the same age as TN does. Just a matter of habitat quality.
At the same time, many areas of MO have habitat not as good as many areas of TN, and the effects of the hunting regulations on herd health cannot be ignored.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
stik said:
BSK said:
stik will kill me for saying this, but I kind of like GA's buck limits--2 per year but one has to have 4 points on one side. I think this is a good compromise between all hunter wants and needs.

leave it at 3 bucks with restrictions on the 3rd would be tolerable. otherwise NO ANTLER RESTRICTIONS!!! :cool:

Agree 100%!

TheLBLman

Just an observation:

Our bordering state of Kentucky is now ranked #1 in the addition of B&C-class bucks over the past few years. Kentucky doesn't have any antler restrictions.

IMO, going to a simple 2-buck limit would improve Tennessee's top-end antler results more than the antler restrictions currently being used by any state.

BSK

Wes Parrish said:
BSK said:
At the same time, many areas of MO have habitat not as good as many areas of TN, and the effects of the hunting regulations on herd health cannot be ignored.

I disagree with MANY areas of MO having worse habitat than MANY areas of TN. SOME areas, I can live with. The Ozark region of southern MO, for example, is generally poor habitat and poor soils. But the majority of MO has habitat superior to the majority of TN.

MUP

EastTNHunter said:
stik said:
BSK said:
stik will kill me for saying this, but I kind of like GA's buck limits--2 per year but one has to have 4 points on one side. I think this is a good compromise between all hunter wants and needs.

leave it at 3 bucks with restrictions on the 3rd would be tolerable. otherwise NO ANTLER RESTRICTIONS!!! :cool:

Agree 100%!

Yep, I could tolerate that. ;)

timberjack86

rukiddin? said:
Master Chief said:
timberjack86 said:
Buckshot!

Why? I never really understood why you would use it even if it was legal. A rifle or slug seems so much more practical.

If you ever shoot one inside 40yds with a load of 1B's, you'll see why!!!
Yep I went on a hunt in bama once and got to use it. Very deadly inside 40 yards! Kinda like rabbit hunting only bigger :grin:

deerhunter10

kldeerkiller said:
1 buck limit and shorter gun and muzzleloader seasons.

we don't have a long muzzleloader season I would say if we are going to cut gun season it should be shorter gun season. but im not a fan of going to neither I would rather see a 2 buck limit instead. but that's just me.