what makes the best cluck/purr?

drrxnupe

this seems to be a good call to get timid birds relaxed in my past experiences. my problem is that i don't seem to do it very well. sometimes i can do it with a slate or box, but i'd rather be able to do it with a diaphragm call. what do y'all use to make the best cluck/purr?

catman529

Slate, diaphragm and tube calls all do it well in my experience. I might have to say I've heard some of the best purrs on a slate. Also depends on the call and the skill of the caller. Some mean realistic sounds have come from people in calling contests

deerhunter10

a good slate will do the job. but I will have to say woodhaven makes a cluck and purr pot and it is awesome. but a good quality slate will do a good cluck and purr. in my experience at least. I am learning how to purr on a mouth call. it is pretty hard. but it is a little easier if you can already roll your R's. but the main reasons I almost exclusively use slates is because I can do all calls on them.

Final steps TC

This is going to sound really weird but if you want to learn to get a good purr on a mouth call it comes from the back of your throat like your hocking a lougie that noise that sounds like a growl ... Your lips are in the position like you are whistling ... It's also a plus to be flip the mouth call over from the way you normally position it in your mouth...

Setterman

I've never used a purr in over 20 years of turkey hunting. I can purr like crazy on a mouth call or a slate, but never have needed it. The very best clucks come from a friction call, a mouth call is good as well but not as effective as a friction call IMO

drrxnupe

PalsPal said:
Clucks and purrs are the ticket for call-shy birds!

I concur. That's why I want to master this call. I'm going to drive my wife nuts as I practice in the house until season opens. At least she doesnt have to worry about me practicing my cutting calls.

REN

friction calls in general are the easiest to learn those sounds on and be clear and crisp with them. Mouth calls are good as well but a real cluck on a mouth call can be a real challenge for some.

whiskey

I use a cluck purr sequence alot. I prefer a slate call most of the time, but I learned both on a mouth call just incase I was in a place where I couldn't move my hands.

Layne

A slate call works pretty darn well but those that can do it well on a mouth call can make some of the most realist purrs.

RutMutt

If you are trying to learn on a mouth call, try one that has a "V" cut. For me they seem to make an easier and more realistic purr.

Latest posts