What is wrong with East Tennessee?

TNGRIZZLY_

2-Step Enabled
I will be heading to Mid TN the last weekend of the Rifle season hunt, I got permission to hunt on private land and we are trying to get my oldest boy his first deer. I hope to become great friends with these guys and be allowed to come back, and also I will be looking for some public land or lease land if anybody know of any? Thanks

catman529

TeamMainStreet":176f7mnb said:
I'm pretty sure, no, 100% positive, that there are no idiots in middle and west TN. There just can't be.

We need a designated color font for sarcasm.

Catman, I especially liked the part of your story about hunters from east tn eating their west tn kills because they can't find any back home. I thought you said no assumptions man. Cmon
I thought this whole thread was about east tn hardly having any deer. Should I instead assume the east tn hunters are the ones leaving the headless carcasses?

Sent from the talk of tap

mike243

I guess this attitude is the reason nobody other than catman offered any advice last year when I went out to Yanalli for a few days,didnt ask for honey hole info but got the recommendation to hunt in a cedar thicket :eek: . then I see he posted about drawing a hunt at chuck swan and was really disappointed in the place. if he had asked I would have given him a couple places to hunt with no problems. that's ok I get where most are coming from. lotta good folks on here but some tite wads also :(

TeamMainStreet

catman529":3gissh2i said:
TeamMainStreet":3gissh2i said:
I'm pretty sure, no, 100% positive, that there are no idiots in middle and west TN. There just can't be.

Catman, I especially liked the part of your story about hunters from east tn eating their west tn kills because they can't find any back home. I thought you said no assumptions man. Cmon
I thought this whole thread was about east tn hardly having any deer. Should I instead assume the east tn hunters are the ones leaving the headless carcasses?

Your going to assume what you want to I suppose. It sounded to me like you had already condemned the east tn guys of headhunting. I dont have to go to west tn to kill a deer. There are plenty to kill right where Im at. I dont particularly like being accused of doing something that I wouldnt do in the first place, so for that fact right there, I will probably stay out of west tn and let you guys have your deer back.

Stumpbroke

cecil30-30":1p264zb9 said:
Now cat man wasn't you the guy who was bow hunting and shot 2 deer one morning but didn't have time to track both of them because you had to be at work??
now this sounds like a good story

catman529

cecil30-30":2wchn1cp said:
Now cat man wasn't you the guy who was bow hunting and shot 2 deer one morning but didn't have time to track both of them because you had to be at work??
I had almost all day to look, but one deer with ice that would only stay good for so long with all the flies, so after 3 hours of thicket stomping most people wouldn't do over a doe, I had to give up to save the other deer. But what does that have to do with people intentionally cutting the heads off and leaving the deer?

Descint4pionter

smalljawbasser":8tdonkxy said:
I will admit their are a lot of idiots up here. I may be one of them. But I don't beleive we have a corner on the market.
I laughed at this, carry on.

Jesus wept.

Descint4pionter

I can't imagine E Tn people cutting off the head and ditching the rest of the carcass. Them boys value every part of the kill. Have you seen the "descint" (decent 4 pointers) they qualify as trophy mountain bucks? And it's really always a "oh well u caint eet the hornsis noways"

I find flaw in catman's assumptions, founded in third party homeowner heresay.

bowhunter163

catman529":p8d0p5n5 said:
TeamMainStreet":p8d0p5n5 said:

You have already insinuated that you believed the "East TN" vehicles that you hate coming to your WMA , to be responsible for all the carcasses laying around .

Richie

catman529":3mmgr7jj said:
bcartervol98":3mmgr7jj said:
Personally I think the deer have more places to get away from humans here and utilize the rugged terrain better than we can. I am from West Tennessee and always hunted the river bottoms on edges and fields. I could see 600-800 yards in many directions. There is more agriculture there so more inadvertent food plots. Here especially on public land all you have is the woods and they are thick. I hung up my gun for the season to small game hunt days off with my son the rest of season but in the spots I hunt I was lucky to have a 50 yard view and even at that not good shooting lanes.
it's not the thickets, I hunt tons if thick stuff here in mid tn and there are plenty of deer.

I don't like it when east tn trucks swarm the public land here and then I start finding carcasses with the heads cut off and no or little meat taken.

Not sure how else this could be taken.

stringtalker

catman529":1vwyorgj said:
bcartervol98":1vwyorgj said:
Personally I think the deer have more places to get away from humans here and utilize the rugged terrain better than we can. I am from West Tennessee and always hunted the river bottoms on edges and fields. I could see 600-800 yards in many directions. There is more agriculture there so more inadvertent food plots. Here especially on public land all you have is the woods and they are thick. I hung up my gun for the season to small game hunt days off with my son the rest of season but in the spots I hunt I was lucky to have a 50 yard view and even at that not good shooting lanes.
it's not the thickets, I hunt tons if thick stuff here in mid tn and there are plenty of deer.

I don't like it when east tn trucks swarm the public land here and then I start finding carcasses with the heads cut off and no or little meat taken.

I use to hunt middle TN. years ago. But do you honestly believe we would drive 3 hours just to shoot deer and leave them laying

jaybird62

There's nothing wrong with East Tennessee. There a multitude of reasons that have been covered already dealing with habitat, etc. Politics has a huge influence on the way East Tennessee deer are managed. If you've ever sat through a Tennessee Wildlife Resources Commission meeting when bear seasons are discussed, you will see the evidence. Bear hunters show up in bus loads and they bring along their local politicians to plead their wishes. Bear hunters take priority in East Tennessee on large chunks of public land, which is evidenced by when you can deer hunt on places such as the CNF. If East Tennessee deer hunters organized and hauled their politicians over in buses, they could influence deer management in East TN. Another part of the equation would be to get Forest Service managers to allow habitat manipulation that favored deer. Won't happen any time soon, though.

Latest posts